Saturday, May 4, 2013

Authenticity




v1
In the Gospels Jesus made it very clear
He wants us all to walk His narrow way;
To take a step of faith and trust His saving Grace;
To walk along His road, eyes fixed upon His face
He really doesn’t want hypocrisy
For only truth can truly set us free

Chorus
He doesn’t want me acting
He wants me to be real
He needs my authenticity, my passion and my zeal.
Pretending to be Christ-like – my life will be a sham.
Jesus made it very clear – He wants me as I am.
        
 v2
The truly good are those whose hearts are bathed in love;
Pretence and self-indulgence play no part!
To please our Father God is their pure single aim,
Dispensing hope and mercy in the Saviours’ name.
We cannot be transformed when we pretend.
An open sincere heart with His will blend

Bridge

He wants me as I am, with all my faults and fears;
With all my failings and my hopes, my laughter and my tears.
He longs for me to be myself - and right above anything else,
He wants the very best of me - He needs my authenticity


Rob Little
Salvationist
Thelwall

15 April, 2013

After reading ‘Who is this Man?’  By John Ortberg, I realised I should have read this book before I wrote The Mask! This lyric then is follow-on from that song – with a similar theme about being authentic.

Jesus really ‘invented’ the use of the word ‘hypocrite’ in the way we subsequently use it. As John Ortberg implies, how ironic is it that the epithet that is often hurled as a criticism to Christians was invented by Jesus whom we claim to follow closely!

There is also inspiration in the lyric drawn from reading Matthew 23 in particular – and writings by Paul.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A NEW ARMY?

"I thought I was looking at The Salvation Army in its varied future operations, and while I looked I thought I saw a new body of Officers suddenly start into existence. In many respects they strongly resembled the comrades with whom I am familiar to day. In other respects they appeared strangely dissimilar.

I will try to describe them, and while I do so you will be able to judge of the probable usefulness or otherwise of such a class, the possibility of creating it, and whether you would or would not like to belong to it, if it were created.

As I looked at this new people, they appeared to manifest extraordinary signs of earnestness, self-denial, and singleness of purpose; indeed, they had every appearance of being a reckless, daredevil set. On inquiry, I found that they described themselves as “Brothers of Salvation” or “Companions of the Cross of Christ.” They went forth, two and two, strengthening each other’s hands, and comforting each other’s hearts in all the work they had to do, and all the trials they had to bear. They seemed to welcome privations, and to revel in hardships, counting it all joy when they fell into diverse persecutions, and facing opposition and difficulties with meekness, patience, and love…

(International Staff Council Addresses 1904, General William Booth, p144-147)

Active UK

Anonymous said...

Walking a narrow way is not necessarily more difficult or challenging than walking a broad/ wide one. Is it not a shame that the narrow path has often been intentionally obscured or even deliberately obstructed by theological and doctrinal debris that are really human concoctions?

Nuff said ;)


ACTIVE UK

Joseph Smith (Major) said...

I am not familiar with the context of this part of his address to staff officers but the tone makes me feel very sad. His need to keep driving his leaders to demand more work and more sacrifice was typical of his personal driven-ness. Would that he had demonstrated more of an encouraging, affirming attitude! But this is the way of 'generals' in every Army, the stated task is the priority whatever the cost.I thank God for much needed single-mindedness, but this is not a scriptural model of christian leadership. Would the Army have expanded its operations so quickly if he had not been so driven to see results? We shall never know. But we see the impact for harm in his shattered family relationships, and especially in the way his son Bramwell suffered, and had to be removed from office, by trying to emulate him. I love the Army, I want it to be more faithful and more focussed in completing our God given mission. But please lets look to Jesus as our example of leadership for today. In Him, Joseph

Joseph Smith (Major) said...

Why so much anonymity? This hardly enhances the status of contributions.

Joseph Smith (Major) said...

Rob, Be patient - I am still getting used to how this blog works. I find my comments relate not to your song but relate to a comment about you posting. (editot, is there a way of avoiding this kiond of confusion?)

Anyway. Thanks for the song. I wonder if you really mean God wants me as I am... Or God accepts me as I am...? You are right that Jesus hates hypocrisy. If Gods representatives show inconsistency when our stated beliefs and values are compared to our actions, attitudes and opinions. This thgreatens not only our personal credilility but the credibility of the Gospel that God has entrusted to us. However, hypocrisy must not be confused with unintentional sin, during which we fail God and our better self but acknowledge our sin and repent.

Hypocrisy is a state of mind, the deception is deliberate. Its intention is to manipulate by making it appear that we are what we are not. Usually it is motivated by self interest.

Your song properly indicates that authenticity is the opposite of hypocrisy.

Thanks for your ministry. Joseph.

Barbara Sanjivi. Former said...

Rob, I really love that song. Thank you for posting it. It is so true. Excuse my ignorance but, did you write this? Wonderful song.