ZIMBABWE
The village doctor who loves Zim
CHIWESHE - Working as a medical doctor is not
something easy in a country like Zimbabwe.
Despite the high regard with which
the job is held in other parts of the world, here it is treated just like any
other thankless profession characterised by low pay, long working hours and
above all poor working conditions.
And it is no surprise that some of the
country’s best medical brains have left for greener pastures, while those
remaining have either spent much of their time on strike or engaged in private
practice where the fortunes are much better than at State hospitals.
But
for Paul Thistle — a little known village doctor who became “famous” for being
a rebel with a good cause — the local medical profession has been his true
calling and one that came while he was in his native Canada.
And it has so
far kept him in a couple of Zimbabwean rural areas for the past 20 years.
He
has made friends — during the good and best times — in the remotest of areas in
the country through his stethoscope.
It was
no surprise when thousands of villagers last year braved teargas for the first
time in their lives defending his right to remain part of the Chiweshe rural
community and as one of them.
Dr
Thistle was kicked out of Howard Hospital last year after he raised concern
over funds donated to the hospital which in 2008 was one of the last such
facilities that remained open at the height of political and economic problems.
For
that he got a summary order to leave the country in just 24 hours and that
raised the ire of the restive villagers who until now remain livid at the way their
“friend” was treated.
He had the option to return to native
Canada. But he has resurfaced at another rural outpost.
The
Daily News travelled to Mt Darwin to meet him and find out why the village will
always be his home for as long as he remains working in Zimbabwe. The welcoming
remarks are in fluent Shona.
“Titambire,
tinokuchingamidzai kuno kwedu kwevanhu verudzi rweKorekore (Welcome to our place of the Korekore)”
he said in perfect Shona as he ushered us into his home at Karanda Mission
Hospital, some 200 kilometres from Harare.
It is
at this 100-bed hospital where Thistle, who is married to a Zimbabwean nurse,
has found a new home.
After 20 (17) years of service at Howard Mission
Hospital, Thistle was asked to go back to his native Canada by his Salvation
Army church but he has refused to bow to threats.
Remarkably
at Karanda Mission Hospital where he is still working as a volunteer but now
tipped to take over as the Chief Medical Officer, he discharges his duties in his trademark Salvation Army church attire of
a white shirt and khaki pair of trousers though the hospital is run by the
Evangelical Fellowship Church in Zimbabwe.
“I am a Salvationist and my job is
to help the sick and I can do that from anywhere I can, this mission hospital
included,” said Thistle.
As he
took the Daily News crew for a walk around the hospital, one could not mistake
his love for humanity.
He occasionally stopped to speak to locals bringing
their sick relatives to the hospital.
“Hesi
vakomana, ko rwizi rwakamira sei mazuvano? (Hi guys. How is the river these
days?),” he asked a bemused group of locals.
While he seems to have put his
troubles at Howard Mission Hospital behind him, many people from the area
cannot forget him easily and some are trekking him to Karanda.
“I came here yesterday from Howard
Mission Hospital because I have a problem with my intestines. I am due for an
operation and I have heard how good Dr Thistle is with operations so I have
come to make a booking with him,” Laura Nhidza from Chiweshe told the Daily
News at Karanda Mission Hospital.
The hospital is not easily accessible
because of bad roads and damaged bridges, which have been swept by the rains
but never repaired in this Zanu PF stronghold.
Cephas Cheda from Chakari in
Kadoma was one of the people we met.
He was returning to the hospital for a
review of a hernia operation conducted late last year.
We ask him why he had
travelled hundreds of kilometres from Kadoma to Mt Darwin for an operation
which he could have had in his hometown or let alone in the capital Harare.
“I was in pain when I went to
Parirenyatwa Hospital and I was told I needed an urgent hernia operation but
they wanted $4 000 so I offered my herd of cattle as payment because I didn’t
have that kind of money but everyone at the hospital thought I was crazy,” he
said.
“One of the nurses there advised me to come here at Karanda Mission
Hospital because it was a bit cheaper,” said Cheda.
“When I came here I was
only asked to pay $300 and I was operated on and now I am fit again. Today
I am here to see Dr Thistle for a review.”
Thistle’s
popularity is not only among his patients.
As we were about to leave Karanda
Mission Hospital we asked Thistle one of those questions that he had hoped we
had not asked him.
It was about how he coped with the influx of suspected MDC
supporters who were attacked during the June 2008 electoral violence to his
Howard Mission Hospital seeking medical attention.
“You guys (journalists) got us into trouble. You used to come to the
hospital and take pictures without our permission. I will tell the real story
at the right moment but for now I would like to concentrate on treating the
korekore people,” he said.
It was at Howard Mission Hospital where many
victims of torture in June 2008 were treated and pictures of burnt backs and
broken limps taken from the hospital beds shocked the world.
As we
left Karanda Mission Hospital, Thistle had one more for us for the road.
“Ko moenda here tisina kusvusvura,
chiregai tiite chisvusvuro (“You cannot go without eating, please let us
prepare some food for you”),” he said. - Own Correspondent




29 comments:
The High Council convenes in two days. There is little likelihood that the Capt. Thistle - Howard Hospital debacle will find a spot on the agenda, however, there is every chance that each delegate will find a brief retelling of the story in their hotel mailbox. For most of the assembled 113 SA leaders it will be a story they've not heard before.
Do those in your corps know the story? The FSAOF blog has featured this tragic story for several weeks. Why not select one of the article and print out copies to be distributed on Sunday in the hall?
God bless
UK Soldier
A good doctor has kind hands, salvation army played roulette on this doctor yet they cant replace knowledge - we will forever welcome good service to the community
I have never seen this doctor but reading from the press how the Howard community mourn for his departure, I can't help but fall in love with him. Its the testimony of the people that is more important. Seems he loves the people and his job. Also it appears he wanted to enforce some systems for transparency and accountability and the church could not stomach it. I am also told a very senior politician in government who belong to Salvation Army was behind the sacking of Dr. Thirstle for reasons I do not understand. However, long live Dr Thirstle. Zimbabwe loves you man!
To whom was Dr Thistle directly accountable within the Zimbabwean Salvation Army owned and operated HH structures and how was this effected? Was it to THQ or directly to IHQ for goods and monies received and personally raised from his excellent fundraising efforts in Canada?
According to one report posted, Dr Thistle left Canada with a superb $20.000 in cash be used at the Salvation Army owned and operated HH. There is no doubt in my mind that every single cent was used for the good of the local population.
We read of goods and money donations being acknowledged and receipted and then reported missing. At what point did they go missing at the ground? It should not be difficult to trace from that point onward where it went to. Were the goods items delivered to THQ or HH and then went AWOL from the compound storing areas or did they never arrive in the first place at final destination? Sven provided us with a very useful insight in how such unsavoury practices worked in Russia during his time there.
The possible lack of auditable trails can cause massive issues when organisations and individuals integrities are being questioned. That is one of the main reasons why IHQ wants to keep tabs on globally donated monies and goods that are destined to reach potentially very corrupt situations.
I realise that in a clapped out, bankrupt and corrupt economical structure such as Zimbabwe, conventional practices may have to be circumvented in order to survive, let alone live. Robbing Peter to pay Paul comes to mind ;);)
It is imperative that this kind of injustice does not go unanswered. I can only assume it is at the centre of Linda Bond's resignation.
It could well be or not for that matter. Everything is based on speculation, presumptions and assumptions with very little factual, first hand information coming out by anyone (any party) directly involved in this saga.
People on this blog are urged by some to take definite action and sides against one and the other on that limited basis. It could easily become a case of some people here handing the bullets for someone else to fire on the frontline whilst retreating themselves into the background and make themselves conveniently scarce.
This could also well have happened with the riots around HH that led to Dr Thistle's 24/48 hour notice where the agitating ringleaders ( whoever they were) were nowhere to be seen or heard whilst laying low.
A troubling story to be sure, but similar situations occur around the TSA world, when officers are torn from appointments without any conversation or discussion with those on the local level. Most end up saluting and moving on to the next assignment, as that is the expectation, and they have few other options. In the end, TSA administration was only doing what its system allows it to do - that system is the larger issue.
I agree JoAnn that the system is the problem, and yet officers buy into an organization knowing full well that it has a militaristic structure, that it is hierarchical in nature, and bureaucratic in function. Are they naïve or what?
All three of the above are miles away from the shepherd, servant, and healer, models of governance exemplified in the scriptures. Yet the very first doctrine claims that the Old and New Testaments only constitute the divine rule for faith and practice. Oh yeah?
JoAnn
I agree with you that there may well be little or even no consultation but in the UK at least there is a whole process in place that takes the officer and appointment into account with officers and corps knowing around 1 year in advance as to whether there will be a move or not during the next year.
One DC told me that the majority of moves are at the instigation of an officer himself - no tearing away but a blessed release from whatever situation. In this very large UKT division ( larger than many a territory in centres and membership details) there were basically only three moves this year, two involving retirements from active service. Excellent divisional leadership to match!
Our structure allows for a rapid deployment as to the perceived needs of the territory or world. As you say, most officers salute and go and it all works out well. Sometimes it does not and there will be stresses to deal with.
I think one of the worst appointments, certainly the most stressful, must be the Secretary for Personnel at THQ!
As to HH move of CMO, I just can not believe that it came out of the blue with only a couple of months notice. The possibility was probably discussed over a prolonged period of time as to allow for a smooth transition of this important senior appointment but for reasons largely unknown to us outsiders it all turned bitter and sour at the same time.
What a mess!
Apparently in this case there were absolutely no plans for a smooth transition. It is a year now and the HH has not had a suitable replacement for Dr. Thistle. IHQ's statement a couple of weeks ago by John Murray, said there were 3 Dr.'s at the HH - presumably meaning the two Zimbabwean Drs. and the new surgeon from Sweden. Well apparently this official statement from IHQ was not accurate because two phone calls from Canada last week confirmed that the Swedish surgeon was not at HH and was not excepted to arrive until tomorrow Wednesday, July 25th.
So this was no ordinary, smoothly planned transition. Also this abrupt move has resulted in the loss of lives and compromised health care. It cannot be compared to routine moves and transfers.
According to an interview last year with Dr. Michael Silverman conducted by SW Radio Africa (located here: http://www.swradioafrica.com/podcasts/wordpress/?cat=109) -
The Salvation Army told Dr. Silverman that they are shutting down all surgical work at Howard Hospital. So all this talk about them having another surgeon coming in is either a) a falsehood to deceive people that they are continuing the work of HH, or b) falsehood to deceive Dr Thistle's followers and undermind any and all efforts to have Dr. Thistle reinstated.
I am working on transcribing the interview to post as a blog entry here in the next day or so.
But I found the entire interview quite interesting.
Jolinda, I understand that the interview you are referring to with regard to Dr. Silverman took place with Major and Mrs. Dean Pallant.
I had previously been told by someone on IHQ the same story that the Army was getting out of the surgery business, for fear of Captain Thistle doing a botched up job and the Army being liable.
A strange fear when you think about it, since Dr. Thistle has been described by his peers as the "best bush surgeon in the world" and that he for the past number of years, and still does, sits as a member of the Zimbabwean College of Physicians and Surgeons.
It seems that the on going success or absolute failure of HH, as described in some of the postings, really centred around just one person. That without Dr Thistle present the hospital is in disarray and stopped to function. (with nearly empty wards and collapse of hygiene etc)
Who did the life saving surgery at HH when the CMO was not available and out of the country for example? Or did patients have to wait for some weeks until the only surgeon returned to his post?
Just curious........
The first comment here asks "Do those in your corps know the story?"
Officers in Canada do not talk about this HH debacle nor are soldiers permitted to distribute anything at the corps.
Someone who has done volunteer work at the Howard for six months was asked questions by another person at camp this summer and was politely told it was inappropriate to talk about this topic at camp. It apparently was a private conversation but must have been overheard and this is what was said to the Howard volunteer person apparently by an officer.
Many Army people know little or even nothing about this because of the code of silence on the issue.
Jolinda, just to let you know that the media article by Dr. Silverman and Sarah Zelcer already appeared here as one of the first blog entries.
When Dr. Silverman went to London he met first apparently with Major Dean Pallant and his wife Mrs. Major Dr. Pallant. Then there was a second meeting later in the day with Major Dean Pallant and a Commissioner in charge of program - forget the name but I believe it's in Dr. Silverman's article in the Huffington Post.
It was during these meetings with Major Dean Pallant that Dr. Silverman was told about the Army's plan to only be doing primary care throughout Africa. Then as you say we observe the appointment of a Sedish surgeon to the HH which certainly makes Major Pallant appear to be either ignorant of the Army's plans, or they never had such plans and he was lyng, or they changed their plans. Also on facebook people (staff) at the HH said anaesthetic equipment was moved from the Howard to anothe Army hospital in Africa. If they were changing to primary care why would that have happened. Also since stories have come out that the big white elephant hospital on the property will be completed. after it's sat there decaying for 10 years. That white elephant hospital is so big that it would take 4 doctor Thistle's to staff it.
So the whole story about the Army planning to revert to primary care in Africa that Dr. Silverman was told, has been contradicted by subsequent actions of the Army, making the whole story totally suspect.
I read one of the articles in swradioafrica - I'm not sure if it was the one referred to, as the link didn't work for me - but I found this quite interesting - written last year when the Thistles were either still at HH or had only recently left: 'Seven thousand patients in Chiweshe are receiving Anti-Retroviral Therapy, including 3,000 registered at the Howard Hospital’s Tariro HIV/AIDS/TB Clinic. These patients are now at risk of defaulting on their treatment. Eight of the Howard Hospital’s nurses have been arrested following unrest following the dismissal of the Thistles, and approximately 1,500 orphans and vulnerable children have been left without support. International funding is in jeopardy, as donors cannot guarantee their funds will be used for their intended purpose. The humanitarian crisis with people needlessly dying has caused an international outcry,” Dr. Silverman said'.
I know we all fall short of God's glory in many ways, but to put the lives of over 10,000 people at risk in a pre-meditated way by withdrawing the Thistles without replacing him with a surgeon of equal skills, as well as the unimaginable distress of the 1500 orphans is beyond inhuman, and cannot, in my opinion, equate with any facet of Christianity. To think that these actions have emanated from the orders of our 'spiritually elite' leadership beggars belief.
I must admit, though, that I was a tad disappointed when Dr Thistle himself has refused to elaborate on his situation. On the face of it, this seems to be an open and shut case agains TSA leadership, and I and many others have been carried along with it, but if there IS anything that Dr Thistle could say to clarify the situation, then I do believe he should contribute at least some of his side of the story. To say he will speak out when the time is right seems a little odd. If the time isn't right now, when most of us reading these articles and blogs are prepared to see TSA leadership castigated (for want of a better word) for such perceived inhuman and unchristian decisions and actions, when would he consider the time to be right? Surely it IS now?
UK Soldier
The blogger above who said this: 'Officers in Canada do not talk about this HH debacle nor are soldiers permitted to distribute anything at the corps.
Someone who has done volunteer work at the Howard for six months was asked questions by another person at camp this summer and was politely told it was inappropriate to talk about this topic at camp. ......this is what was said to the Howard volunteer person apparently by an officer.
Many Army people know little or even nothing about this because of the code of silence on the issue.'
I know we all sign up to be loyal to TSA – ‘ the Articles of War state;
I will be true to the principles and practices of The Salvation Army, loyal to its leaders, and I will show the spirit of Salvationism whether in times of popularity or persecution.’
But we also have other, higher loyalties – loyalties that transcend any earthly institution:
I will make the values of the Kingdom of God and not the values of the world the standard for my life.
I will uphold Christian integrity in every area of my life, allowing nothing in thought. word or deed that is unworthy, unclean, untrue, profane, dishonest or immoral.
I will maintain Christian ideals in all my relationships with others: my family and neighbours, my colleagues and fellow Salvationists, those to whom and for whom I am responsible, and the wider community.
I will be a faithful steward of my time and gifts, my money and possessions, my body, my mind and my spirit, knowing that I am accountable to God.
I will be faithful to the purposes for which God raised up The Salvation Army, sharing the good news of Jesus Christ, endeavouring to win others to Him, and in His name caring for the needy and the disadvantaged.
Nowhere are we asked to be complicit in such dastardly deeds that have happened at HH, nor are we asked to condone such actions. Our loyalty is that of the Army salute – pointing to God and giving Him loyalty, and to the best of our ability upholding godly, biblical principles – all of which appear to be absent in this sorry mess.
We should not allow ourselves to be silent on this issue. I have already shared all the articles relating to this subject with my officer and a member of my corps, as well as friends from neighbouring corps. I think many soldiers should do the same, so that this tragic situation becomes known to people who are blindly ignorant of it. If everything is above board, there would be no reason for gagging it. Prayer is paramount in situations like this: how can we pray when we don’t know about it?
UK
Cool down folks! take a deep breath and think twice before you press the submit button.
The whole political situation in Zimbabwe is ultra sensitive in the lead up to 31 July ..... for Dr Thistle to comment on anything at all would be like committing hari kari and create possible community unrest leading to torture and death.
"On the face of it, this seems to be an open and shut case agains TSA leadership, and I and many others have been carried along with it, but if there IS anything that Dr Thistle could say to clarify the situation, then I do believe he should contribute at least some of his side of the story."
Is that not the problem? "on the face of it..... I and many others have been carried along with it"
Dr Thistle is not obliged at all to give his side of the story and does not owe any of us an explanation. There is very rarely an 'open and shut case' - real raw life is far too complicated for that.
There is always the risk to be taken in by a one-sided story as being gospel truth without having any first hand facts to go by. Think perceptively and beyond some of a private blog tittle tattle.
There may also be legal reasons at this point that Dr. Thistle cannot speak out. Certainly there would have to be a financial settlement between the Thistle's and the Army and if the Thistle's have hired a lawyer, they may have been advised not to speak out. Who knows there may even have to be a court case, in which case they would not be able to speak out.
As I suggested in another thread yesterday, I think it would be good to wait for the outcome of the HC. If you get an indication in the new General's first message of change rather than platitudes, perhaps my thoughts yesterday on a reason for the HC might be borne out.
Active UKT
Just an aside, we no longer refer to a married woman officer as Mrs Major ......... She is just Major, or in this case Major and Dr.
OK just as long as she gets a separate salary cheque!
Legal reasons? Lawyers? Hari kiri? Community unrest? Torture and death? All very unsavoury, but I really do take your point. In Zimbabwe it is reality, and I understand that it may not be possible for Dr Thistle to speak out, and the whole matter demands sensitivity, especially at this time. I suppose we do need to calm down in the face of possible repercussions and not cause Dr Thistle and his family any more anguish. But TSA's role in all this is truly reprehensible, with the spin and contradictions being spewed out in various IHQ bulletins on this issue, and to be led by leaders who rely on the stifling rule of silence on one hand and profess to be serving suffering humanity on the other hand does not sit comfortably with many of us, and they should be held accountable. Quite how that will happen I don't know. I'm not sure how things will, if at all, improve in Zimbabwe after 31st July actually. The political signs are not good. What does intrigue me is that Dr Thistle does not seem to have any argument with TSA, as he still wears his uniform, and he is still serving in Zimbabwe, albeit not for TSA.
But if you really think this blog site is tittle tattle, how do you account for the differing and contradictory information coming out of IHQ? And accounts of people with first-hand information highlighting these contradictions? Truth - or lies? People outside TSA have no axe to grind, and no reason not to tell it how it is. And you cannot deny the demise of HH - that's plain for all to see. I believe TSA hierarchy have handled this extremely badly, and with no transparency at all.
UK
Perhaps his continued presence in TSA is a "Thistle"/thorn in badly they their side??? - A constant reminder to leadership of how terribly their decisions impacted the poor people of Chiweshe.
The bottom line is TSA cared more about their policy/procedure, control, chain of command than they cared about people who have died during the last year because they removed their only surgeon. Also many more will die because of the disruption in their ARV drugs routine, which undoubtedly lead to a resurgence in AIDS in the area.
Someone might call the discussion on this site "tittle tattle" but I agree with those who think it is significant discussion and I thank Sven for exposing this whole issue via this forum.
Technically speaking this issue may not be part of the HC procedure itself, but I would suspect it will be discussed in the meetings preceding the actual start of the HC. It appears the leadership of TSA is in crisis with an issue of this seriousness still pending with them responsible for the loss of many lives and also the resignation/retirement of the former General. There has been a loss of confidence and respect in the Army's leadership.
Someone was curious about how the HH managed in previous times when the Thistle's would return to Canada. I have been told that while on furlough they had been able to find experienced doctors to stand in the gap to cover the need of surgeries. Dr. Thistle trained surgeons and had surgeons volunteer to work at the HH from Canada and other countries on many occasions. In their absence the staff would pull together and work to keep things going, but that did not happen when TSA so abruptly removed their doctor.
How the hospital ran in the past was always on a shoestring and a prayer. By the grace of God the hospital kept its doors open thanks to the extraordinary support of staff and the confidence of the community. Sadly those characteristics are now lacking. In the minds of the people who have lost loved ones in Chiweshe God was strangely absent in Aug 2012. I think that explains the difference between then and now.
Just to clarify, the link I posted was to an audio recording of an interview of Dr Silverman by Alex Bell of SW Radio Africa.
Married women officers do get a seperate pay cheque and benefits in advanced, progressive territories! Has been the case for years.......
I do think the semantics of terminology for women - title, pay etc - is a little troubling in an article of this magnitude, and not really that important in the grand scheme of life and death issues - sorry.
Post a Comment