Thistle worked not only to assure excellent medical care at the Howard Hospital, but also to assure that there was an improvement in medical standards throughout the country. He trained medical students from the University of Zimbabwe, with students getting rural experience at the Howard. He was very involved with the College of Physicians in Harare, which ensures that all physicians working in the country are properly certified, and receive ongoing education and training. The commitment to teaching is a family process within the Thistle household, with his wife Pedrinah also being a talented and highly respected nursing educator and midwife.
It was not just the medical care of the community that Thistle and his wife attended to. The general community welfare was critical to both of them. Paul and Pedrinah were deeply involved in the care of local orphans. Quietly and without fanfare, Dr and Mrs Thistle assured that local boys and girls receive the care and love that they need. This involved individual attention to help keep the children in school and getting them the funding to make that possible. It also involved supporting local orphanages with fund raising.
Even with his busy schedule, Thistle found time every Sunday evening to play ball hockey with the local children. He made sure that they have equipment, and made sure their needs are being met. These games were deeply loved by the children with 20-30 coming every week to play.
Even with his busy schedule, Thistle found time every Sunday evening to play ball hockey with the local children. He made sure that they have equipment, and made sure their needs are being met. These games were deeply loved by the children with 20-30 coming every week to play.
An international outcry sounded when Thistle and his wife were relieved of their duties without warning or cause. The Thistles, Salvation Army Officers, were ordered by The Salvation Army leadership to abandon their home and work, and return to Canada. The tragedy is that it is innocent Zimbabweans who are being punished in a most inhumane way.
Thistle's abrupt dismissal from the Howard Hospital has led to a rapid decrease in medical services and has dealt devastating blow to the community. Thistle is the only surgeon in the region, and in his absence most elective and emergency surgery has ceased. The very existence of the hospital and the survival of its many community based programs are now under threat. The Salvation Army has not proposed a transition plan. Their leadership did not consult with the community before making a decision that affects their lives and their deaths.
After over 17 years of Thistle at the helm of the hospital, no plans were considered to involve him in the handing over of the clinical reigns to an incoming physician or surgeon. No incoming physician or surgeon has yet even been identified by The Salvation Army leadership and no start date has been indicated. The once thriving hospital is operating at 10 per cent capacity. The thousands of patients receiving Anti-Retroviral Therapy for HIV are now at risk of defaulting on their treatment. Fifteen hundred orphans and vulnerable children were left without financial support to pay for school fees this September and thus have not been able to attend their classes. The residents of Chiweshe have forcefully stated their support of Thistle, and have demanded that he be reinstated.
Thistle has been a loyal member of The Salvation Army and has not spoken out against it in public. We are aware of allegations of corruption and misuse of donor funds and donated goods by The Salvation Army in Zimbabwe. We believe that Thistle's attempts to maintain the integrity of accounts has raised the ire of The Salvation Army Church in Harare and is likely the reason for their insisting on his prompt removal.
We have had the privilege to work closely with Thistle for many years. We know him to be honest, reliable, and motivated by compassion. We, like hundreds of others, have been inspired to do whatever we could to help the Howard after witnessing the incredible commitment, professionalism, and devotion with which Thistle has cared for both his patients and the entire local Zimbabwean community.
This is a humanitarian crisis unfolding before our eyes. A group of concerned doctors and other professionals have formed the Interfaith Friends of Howard Hospital (IFHH). We have all worked as volunteers beside Thistle in Zimbabwe and have facilitated millions of dollars' worth of medical equipment, medicine and funds, including grants from international aid agencies, Canadian registered charities, and faith-based groups. Future donations to the hospital are now in jeopardy, as donors are no longer confident that there is adequate management or supervision on the ground to ensure that donor dollars are utilized for their intended purpose.
Our efforts to work to address this crisis with The Salvation Army leadership at its Canadian and International headquarters have been fruitless. The Salvation Army leadership continues to ignore the crisis precipitated by their removal of this exceptionally qualified surgeon from his practice.
Dr. Michael Silverman, MD, FRCP, FACP. Global Scholar, PAS Center for
International Health, Mount Sinai Hospital
Sarah Zelcer, Director of International Programs, Ve'ahavta: The Canadian Jewish Humanitarian and Relief Committee.
July 7, 2013
The most recent news is that the Army has ordered their Zimbabwe schools for orphans not to accept donations from Friends of Howard Hospital, a long time Canadian support group that has donated thousands of dollars. The FOHH is one of the donor groups requesting greater transparency.


11 comments:
I recall hearing General Shaw Clifton, early in his tenure, speak of sin in the camp. This situation is a prime example of the sin in the camp that permeates high levels of the Salvation Army organization. This is not a criticism, just a fact. The Army, much like any big business or large Christian organization for that matter, is prone to corruption and unethical behavior. Our prayer first should be for Dr. and Mrs. Thistle and second for a Holy Spirit revival in the Army internationally.
The people who have written this blog entry are respected Canadians, and obviously from the article (parts 1 and 2) were outside supporters of TSA's work at the Howard Hospital
As Major Nelting said in another comment following a previous blog entry on this story, Canadian Salvationists who are in the know about this situation, are ashamed of the actions of our organization/church. We cannot be loyal to leaders who make such decisins and to not speak out would be to be complicit in this decision making. There is a price to be paid in speaking out, but the price would be greater if we did not speak out. How can we be indifferent to the human suffering this decision of TSA has caused?
We tried to present the case to Canada's THQ and IHQ but they just don't care about the crisis they have inflicted on the people of Chiweshe. They cared more about policy/procedures/ loyalty to the chain of command than about human need.
It is very embarrassing to deal with people's questions about the crisis inflicted on the poor people of Chiweshe. How would we feel if some organization could make a decision to reduce our health care to 10% of what it was and deprive us of access to have needed surgery and our loved ones died who couldn't get surgery? - keepng in mind that Dr. Thistle was available to do surgery but TSA stopped him from practising.
The question is as Paul Tillich writes that if people are to maintain their moral core, there comes a time when people must speak out against institutions that have nurtured and supported us.
I wonder if the decision to remove the only surgeon of 250,000 - 270,000 people, with no replacement, constitutes a criminal act?
Canada
Those leaders behave like old fashioned Soviet dictators.
I´m not sure that I can stay as a soldier any longer. If you start to schratch on the surface, problems will occur almost everywhere. We have a couple of cases of really serious bullying in Sweden and Latvia territory. So serious tha one officer has been asked to bring the case to court, but is still so loyal to the army that this has not happened - yet.
LH, former Sweden
LH - please contact me privately- Sven Ljungholm selmoscow@aol.com
I have followed this crisis from afar for some time now. I have heard many comments about corruption, even one claiming to say that they had documentary proof. I have come to the conclusion that there is trouble on both sides. If there is proof it needs to be taken to the appropriate authorities, and prosecutions undertaken. These are actions that can be taken outside the organisation, should such proof exist (and I suspect it does). On the other hand, organisations have difficulties in being able to publicly deal with these kinds of crises. Action may well be underway, and yet these cannot be revealed for all kinds of reasons such as dignity, privacy, timing, legal etc. I have been watching in hope that our organisation will make this right. It will be hard for the SA to lose yet another talent. Pray hard people and keep calm....difficult as that is.
To LH
I just want to reassure you that God is bigger than TSA, and if everyone with a conscience leaves, who is left to raise a voice? I have been in TSA most of my life - I signed my articles of war in good faith as a youngster, according to my understanding at the time, but as I have progressed along the spiritual pathway I have questioned TSA's stance on some issues, particularly regarding the Sacraments (shock! Horror!), but my particular corps is one of the best where I live, so I'm sticking with it. My spiritual convictions belong with the Lord, and I trust Him to guide me through my life, and I will have to answer to Him, and only Him, at the end. TSA is a means by which I worship God - no more, no less, and I believe He has placed me where I am. Any church or organisation that is led by humans, however inspired, however 'anointed' is bound to be less than perfect. Also, where there is harmony or signs of progress, the Devil seeks to disrupt, and he will use even saints to cause mayhem among God's people. The secular phrase 'what goes around comes around' is also true in spiritual events - God is not mocked, and whatever the details of this sad case, we have to believe that He is in overall control, and that His Will will ultimately prevail. We should be praying for the situation, so that eventually we will see that 'all things work together for good to those who love God'.
I do agree with other writers on the last article who said that it was unhealthy to place so much importance and reliance on one man's efforts for so long - that in itself seems strange, without in any way denigrating the work of Dr Thistle. Why TSA allowed this to evolve is another conundrum that perhaps bears investigation.
UK Soldier
To UK soldier comment above
The promise that all things work together for good is so often misinterpreted because what is the good? Only God is perfectly good so I always take that promis to mean that all things good and bad will together to make us more like Christ - not that circumstances will change and work out always well.
Besides, in this instance it's hard to see what the "good" can possibly be for the people of Chiweshe who have lost their health care? What do you see as the "good" in this debacle for them?
Canada
Canada
To Canada
Throughout these articles there is a common thread - the superhuman efforts of Dr Paul Thistle and his family's sacrifice while he worked day in, day out for 16/17 years. I am amazed that people were quite content to let him continue at this breakneck pace for such an extended period of time, with little concern for his wellbeing, as long as the hospital kept functioning and people were being treated. There's a huge question as to why TSA allowed this situation to arise AND to continue.
Maybe the 'good' in this is that God hasn't allowed him to 'burn out' and has allowed this to happen to preserve his skills.
Everyone is very concerned that he has been removed from his job and that people have suffered and are suffering as a result, and I agree that TSA should have put alternative provision in place before this debacle was allowed to happen. I also agree that TSA has been found lacking in its consideration of and provision for suffering humanity, lacking in humanity for its treatment of the Thistle family, and should be called to account for this. But, if the accounts of his workload are to be believed, and they seem genuine, how much longer could he have carried on working at that pace? And why have most people contributing to this blog not been concerned for him personally? Yes - TSA has handled it extremely badly, but to me he has been treated like a machine producing maximum output. It can’t be right that the whole burden of responsibility and skill should rest on one man’s shoulders.
There IS no good for the people of Chiweshe – you are correct – but my understanding that others are now benefiting from Dr Thistle’s expertise in his new appointment. It’s surely good news for them, and who are we to deny them the opportunity of renewed health?
I guess the phrase ‘work together for good’ is open to interpretation, and mine differs from yours. I have gone through some dark times in my life when all I could see were the negatives in those situations, and I was very hurt and bewildered by them. Now, looking back, I can see God’s hand in each of them, and I can see that ultimately, those dark times were for my own good, and for my spiritual development. That’s what I meant.
UK Soldier
To UK Soldier
I agree "the good" may be that through adversity we become more Christlike, we grow spiritually therefore even though circumstances may remain very bad and unchanged.
I think God gives people differing abilities and differing energy. It is not for us to say what Dr. Thistle can and cannot do, or should and should not be doing.
While his surgical talent and ability is being used for the people in the region of Karanda, like you say - here IS no good in this for the people of Chiweshe and somehow I don't think the good in Karanda doesn't cancel out the suffering and loss of the Chiweshe people. At the very least that community is deserving of a written apology from IHQ for the suffering they have inflicted on that community by the decision to remove Dr. Thistle without adequate replacement. A year has gone by and there is still no adequate replacement.
Canada
To Canada
I am in agreement - TSA has behaved shockingly, but it's difficult to know how this can be highlighted to be of some concern to the soldiery. If I hadn't read about it on this site, I would have been blissfully unaware of it. There has been nothing in Army publications to my knowledge, and the news headlines and news reports have all been in non UK newspapers. I'm sure there is widespread ignorance of this situation in the Army world, certainly in the UK.
There is an article in this week's edition of 'Salvationist' about Harry Williams' work in the hospital in Bolivia named after him. It shows a smiling Major Dean Pallant, International Health Services Co-ordinator, who wrote the article and promoted his book 'Keeping Faith in Faith-Based Organisations - a Practical Theology of Salvation Army Health Ministry'.
What is IHQ doing about the HH debacle, and how can they be lobbied to redress or even ADdress the situation? TSA is incestuously congratulatory, and cannot accept criticism in any shape or form.
I am concerned as to how this can be taken forward and the situation highlighted among the soldiery. I'm sure if more people knew about it, at least it would be in TSA public domain.
UK Soldier
To UK Soldier
Well isn't that ironic - ":Keeping Faith in Faith-Based Organisations" - Major Dean Pallant's book title.
Some people in Canada are highlighting this situation among soldiery by removing their uniforms - both soldiers and some retired officers. I know some who have highlighted this by walking with their feet out of the Army perhaps permanently. Just last night a young Canadian man who was brought up in the Army sent out to 100's of Facebook friends mainly to young peers, notice of the discussion on this website with his own comment that until reading the discussion here, he had heard nothing about this debacle and he added a remark something about that we are the only Army that repeatedly shoots its own soldiers in the feet - friendly fire casualties happens far too often.
As to what can be done taking this forward - I think at the High Council Commissioners need to discuss situations like this and question future candidates for the General on what they would do going forward to try to rectify past wrongs and prevent future debacles like this. I think there's a need for leadership to repent and at the very least to acknowledge an error was made by officially apologizing in writing in public to the community of Chiweshe for leaving them with no surgeon for a year now resulting in loss of lives, and an apology to the Thistle's would be in order as well from IHQ for allowing Com. Chigariro to order them out of their appointment in 24 hours with a 48 hour deportation order and forcing Dr. Thistle to break his solemn oath as a Dr. by forcing him to leave his patients without an adequate replacement.
Do I think any of this will happen? Nope, but I think the Army's leadership could re-gain a whole lot of lost respect and confidence if they were to do even this.
Canada
Post a Comment