The SSO provision requires the non-officer
spouse to accept a 'move' from a geographical area where employment may have
been more available along with quality education, safe housing/ neighbourhood, close
proximity to family and friends, etc. to the area to which the officer is
appointed. In the UKT consideration is given in order to satisfy both the needs
and desires of thr non-officer and TSA. In at least one instance a SSO couple
live in their own private home, not in the assigned SA quarters, in another the
non-officer’s corporate position has been given wide berth with regard to the
spouse’s appointment. In yet another, the non-Salvationist shares ‘a pint with work
mates on a Friday night.’ In one European country two non-officer spouses have
refused to move from the county’s capitol, where both hold well-paying jobs and
security.
With the ever decreasing number of persons
coming forward to serve as officers, does the army have any options but to
accept non-officer spouses with less than acceptable SA expectations with
regard to lifestyle, willingness to relocate and commitment to the SA’s mission?
The barriers or challenges faced by the
non-officer spouse; expected to provide support to their officer spouse:
- · Will I be expected to become a member (soldier) of TSA?
- Can I be an Adherent member and continue living a lifestyle not in keeping with the expectations of those in the corps or SA unit where my spouse is stationed? (smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, visit casinos/bingo halls, etc.)?
- Does the army appreciate and fully understand the many years amd money I’ve invested in getting to where I am today? My qualifications far exceed those of my officer-spouse.
- I hold a senior position in my company
and my corporate success is guaranteed as long as I adhere to the career plan
they’ve mapped out for me; job location, travel, house suitable for
corporate/client entertainment, etc.

- · What if any role will the non-officer spouse assume in the SA appointment process? Will they be given a 'deacon' role or become a 'pastoress' as the female spouse in the SDA church is titled?
- · How will I be equipped to carry out the complex and broad role of an officer’s spouse? What are the expectations?
- · It’s countercultural. My generation doesn’t want to let go of pursuing a higher education, a culturally approved job or having a comfortable family life style.
- · I’ve made a life-long commitment to my vocation. Why should my choice forward be deemed less important than my spouse’s ‘calling’?
- · If our finances allow us to live a life above that which the army offers, why should our comfort be limited? (house, auto, golf club membership, private schooling, foreign travel, holidays, etc.) Officer couples are expected to live a meager, conservative lifestyle even if they have the means to live a more privileged life- style.
- ·
Is
there training required and what is the timing? Will it impede on my
plans/schedule/ career planning?

- Will I earn credits towards a certificate, title, etc. ?
- Officers’ kids, former officers, former Pastors/Deacons will have experienced and witnessed the struggles, challenges, but also the joy and fulfillment in serving God in ministry. How will my role as a non-officer differ?
- · Will my role take the form of officer’s assistant?
- · Will I be expected to pursue officership?
- Will I be provided a mentor?
- Is there a non-officer spouse fellowship or support group?


No comments:
Post a Comment