Thursday, March 29, 2012

MY REDEMPTION WAS ACHIEVED THROUGH OUTSOURCING


Some thirty years ago, or more, I read a short article in a British newspaper while in the UK on business.


A man entered a high-street jewelers with the intent of buying his daughter an Easter present. He asked the clerk what he might deem appropriate, thinking a simple trinket with a bunny might serve the purpose. The attendant immediately brought out a tray displaying small crosses, some in gold, others in silver and still more with diamonds or other precious stones.

After carefully examining the dozens of crosses on offer the man asked, “Is there a great difference in the price of the empty crosses compared to those with a little man on them”?

Perhaps it was not a very significant price difference to the shop’s customer but then he doesn’t, unlike you and I, need to think beyond the ‘cost’, to the ‘loss’ represented by that little man.

From my lecture notes, from the period while teaching international marketing in MBA courses in the USA; “In purchasing a product, technically, there is no loss involved; simply an exchange, at an agreed upon price: a fair and free exchange. The price (in money plus urgency) is equal to the product value at the moment of the trade.”

During my research into global exchange and outsourcing I, with a noted professor from a Midwest university, developed exchange theories based on ‘services’, i.e. not 'products', but on a service that's provided, and there the fairness doctrine can easily be confused or even lost. When one buys a product, technically there is no loss involved nor is one’s attitude involved if the exchange is considered fair.

The value of a service however, is not always immediately recognized or appreciated; the appreciation of its value might be immediate (an airline journey) or may require a lengthy wait (life insurance). And the ROI (return on investment) on a service is often questioned (auto repair or the hair dresser’s proficiency).

Offered as it was, a service to satisfy the forgiveness of our sin, Christ's death, was the most expensive and costly exchange transaction in the history of the universe. It was not simply  "priceless," it was infinitely costly. There was a "price" to be paid for sin and Christ was made the recipient of those wages, the 'outsourced' exchange.
Do we gain an insight by separating the concept of "loss" from "cost." God lost nothing when Christ died. But it certainly cost something, in the sense of an exchange.
Christ's substitutionary death (outsourced service) on the cross stands at the heart of all Salvation Army truths as revealed in the Bible. ‘He took my place, His life He freely gave.’ He took our place in suffering the penalty for sin and it was fully satisfied by His voluntary acceptance of our punishment. He could have saved Himself from the pain of the thorns and the nails, but instead He "humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."
__________________________
George Bennard joined the Salvation Army in Lucas, Iowa where he initially served alone and then, after his marriage, with his wife. Both Bennard and his wife served as officers until he felt the call to move on into a different area of ministry. He became a traveling evangelist and as such conducted revival campaigns in Canada and in the northern and central United States.

One time, after an especially difficult experience in a New York campaign, Bennard returned to one of his earliest appointments in Michigan. There he reflected on the meaning of the cross in the life of a believer from Galatians 6:14 in which the Apostle Paul states: "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."  Meditating on the words, "the old rugged cross," the notes of a melody ran through his head and they were quickly written down.

Then he spent several weeks struggling to compose words to fit the tune. ‘Finally, after a period of prayer, the poetry of the verses began to flow from his pen almost unbidden.’ After completing the four verses he took them to his friends, and sang if for them. He concluded his presentation with the question, "Will it do?"

"The Old Rugged Cross" was published in 1915, and all expenses paid by the Reverend and Mrs. L.O. Bostwick. In 1958, at the age of eighty-five, Bennard "exchanged his cross for a crown. 

Oh, that old rugged cross so despised by the world

Has a wondrous attraction for me;

For the dear Lamb of God left his glory above,

To bear it to dark Calvary.

For 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,

To pardon and sanctify me.

So I'll cherish the rugged cross,

Till my trophies at last I lay down'

I will cling to the old rugged cross,

And exchange it some day for a crown.


Sven Ljungholm



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent contribution in helping us understand the difference between cost and loss. I don't visit daily but realise now that's my loss and really costs me nothing, well, a few minutes, but like today, maybe my lunch break to really consider God's gift and my gratitude.

I loved the cross story and it will be used in a upcoming message; what does the cross mean to you?.

UK
Active corps officer

Anonymous said...

Sven,

Sorry to have to disagree with you on two points (one very important, the other, "ah, so so") since you usually write and present such excellent material.

1. the "substitutionary death" of Christ on the cross is NOT at the heart of ALL SA truths as revealed in the Bible. The substitutionary death theory of atonement is one of about five (maybe six tops, definitely three major, but approximately five) theories of atonement which are all represented in the SA Songbook under the heading of "Atoning Work."

It is and has always been my understanding, since Commissioner Alfred Gilliard once mentioned it to me when I wrote something similar back in 1968 for the back page of War Cry, (after listening to a sermon by Billy Graham) that the same as eschatology, the Army allows each Salvationist to decide for him/herself which theory of atonement they want to believe in.

If I'm not mistaken the substitutionary theory is at the heart of Southern Baptist theology but most denominations (or at least the ones that came out of Methodism) take a position similar to the SA.

For myself(and what's new being the "die-hard-in-the-wool-goin'-to-Hell-in-a-handbasket-liberal" some people mistakenly think I am?!)I've rejected the substitutionary theory a long time ago as it strikes me as a theory that turns God into something of a Divine sadist. It actually turns me AWAY from the cross. The theory of a "strong compelling love" is what now draws me to the cross, although strangely I have to admit that I enjoy singing all the songs of atonement whatever the particular theory! (I need to do a second posting....)

Daryl Lach
USA Central

Anonymous said...

continuing.....

2. George Bennard may have been born in Iowa (?) or stationed there for one of his appointments but it was at the Canton, Illinois corps were he first got saved after meeting TSA in the open-air over 100 years ago. He went to training in Chicago approximately 1909-1910.

Years ago when Colonel Sallie Chesham ("Born To Battle") was still alive, whenever there was an article written in the War Cry about the Rev. George Bennard and the Old Rugged Cross, she would usually send in a rebuttal claiming (in the ever so nicest way possible) that old George was something of a scoundrel who actually stole the words of "The Old Rugged Cross" from a fellow Cadet named Robert Keeler. (She was the adopted daughter of a USA Central officer named Keeler so I assume he was her father?)

At any rate, I can still remember that in the old green SA YP Song Book we used for singing at YPL meetings on Sunday evenings, credit for "The Old Rugged Cross" was given to both George Bennard and Robert Keeler.

Two other interesting notes Sven, was that shortly after you left the USA Central for Australia the Canton, Illinois corps built a new building in the shape of a drum. I once met an officer who was stationed there who told me it was in honor of the open-air meeting where George Bennard first met TSA, though I can't confirm that this is true.

Also, I don't know if they still do it, but for years during YP Councils and other divisional events in what is now the Heartland Division, whenever an altar call was given, part of the old Canton corps altar where George Bennard first knelt and made his commitment to the Lord was pulled out and used while everyone sang the words to "The Old Rugged Cross." I hope no one was dumb enough to stop such a beautiful, moving tradition!

Daryl Lach
USA Central

"You Must Go Home By the Way of the Cross, To Stand With Jesus In the Morning!"

FORMER SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS FELLOWSHIP said...

The Bible's central message is atonement, an Engish word, one of very few used in thee NT and used only once; most often translated as reconciliation. The New Testament aso uses the Greek word katallage (see Romans 5:11). Most modern translations also render this word "reconciliation", but i can also be translated as an exchange or substitution; the heart of the Old and New Testament truths as revealed in the Bible

Not tobe overlooked are the words:

"For 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,

To pardon and sanctify me." The SA's doctrine etched in Bennard's thinking prior to moving to the Methodists.

Anonymous said...

Sven,

Well yeah, if you put it that way...(lol!)

Daryl Lach
USA Central

Anonymous said...

What comes to my mind, Daryle is that Jesus died for me. I should be the criminal on the cross (as a sinner) (which is everyone).As one who has missed the mark , I am glad that there was Someone to pay for my sins. That is the great substitution for me. Now I owe Him everything.

Blessings,

USA former