Friday, March 2, 2012

LIVING THE SSO LIFE- Part One

If someone had asked me five years ago what I thought of the concept of single spouse Officership I would have said it had been too long coming in the UKT. As far as I could see, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, but, it wasn’t for me. I could never have imagined marrying someone who was not a Salvation Army Officer, someone who was not 100% committed to mission and ministry within the Army. I could imagine it creating split loyalties and conflicts.
However, now, I find myself a single spouse Officer and I thank God I have been given the privilege and opportunity to marry my now husband and continue with, and expand my ministry.

Our situation is possibly somewhat unique but in its uniqueness I believe it affords my appointment, the Army and me many advantages. My husband is a life long, 4th generation Salvationist and a former Officer having served as a Corps Officer, a Pioneer Officer and a Regional Commander and so comes Into our marriage with a vast experience of ministry. Initially we had hoped to serve together as Officers but now this is just not possible. A week after we got engaged my fiancé’ had a massive stroke and is now disabled. However, this does not stop him or me, and possibly if anything, drives us even more to be and do the best we can. Life is precious and has to be lived to the full and so we give it everything we have got. Mission, ministry and the Army is what we are about.

Scripture tells us ‘It is not good for man to be alone’ (Gen 2: 18) and let’s face it, ministry is lonely business. The disciples were sent out in twos (Matt. 10) and even when there are two of you it can still be a lonely existence as we shoulder the weight of Kingdom responsibilities and the fragility of peoples lives. Sometime ago a retired Officer told me Officership used to be high profile and low stress but these days the reverse is true, it is low profile and high stress.

Shared ministry is the better way, the preferred way. But these days it is becoming less unusual for married couples to be given separate appointments for numerous reasons and therefore possibly working alone even when both partners are Officers. Single spouse Officership affords some of us opportunities that would otherwise be denied. And although one partner is not an Officer it does give us support, understanding, companionship, and a spiritual partner who believes in us and encourages us to be the best we can be for the Kingdom and the Army.

For me being married to a non-Officer has opened up doors to opportunities that are unlikely to have been mine otherwise. It has introduced me to people from different walks of life and cultures, with interests that were previously unknown to me. It has given me a whole new realm in friendship evangelism because prior to marriage my life evolved simply in my ministry and my people, there was not time or space for others.

Now there has to be, and this has given me an understanding and a richness to life that otherwise could have passed me by. Ministry is a lonely business and I have no doubt for all of us at times whether single, married, single spouse or other, we know what it is to feel so very, very alone. Those of us who have been Officers any length of time know what the Sunday evening syndrome is like. No matter how good a day we have had, possibly through exhaustion, physical, mental, emotional, spiritual we know what it is to hit rock bottom, possibly because we have given so much of ourselves throughout the day. Coming home to an empty house can be devastating. I wonder over the years how many Officers have been lost through sheer loneliness?

As a seven year old I knew that God wanted me to be a Salvation Army Officer. As a child, a young person preparing for my future, career officers at school were somewhat bemused at me being so adamant that this is what I wanted to do and everything else was merely preparation for the great day when I could begin to fulfill my God given calling. It is now twenty six years since my commissioning day and I am as certain of my calling now as I was then. Today I thank God because of a change in SA policy I am still able to fulfill my calling that has not changed. Had this not been the case, I would have had to decide between my life long calling or the opportunity of love. Should people really be put under such unnecessary pressure to make such impossible choices? ‘Two are better than one’ as we read in Proverbs …


Major Glad Ljungholm
Liverpool 
UKT



End – Part One





No comments: