WE HAVE TOO MANY MEMBERS IN OUR FELLOWSHIP!
This
week nine additional persons asked to join our fellowship, the largest one-week
increase in members in recent months. Ours is a fellowship where even one new member a week is too many! And, speaking for the majority of our
members; “before giving thought to coming onboard, consider the options and God’s leading before taking that final step
that qualifies you for membership”. Many of us wish we had…
And, no less sad is that a
few days ago I was asked if 'we' couldn’t have a Spanish language site and invite
persons to join with us and consolidate our ministry. My mind immediately went to an old Swedish SA
chorus that translates roughly; ‘though miles and language separate us, we will join with each other at
the Mercy Seat’. I’m told the chorus was sung when Swedish SA missionaries were
fare-welled and sent to distant lands. My grandparents were a part of that special band of servants.
The word “policy” has been tossed around recently with regard to a question I posed relative to the Single Spouse Officer provision. I was informed that "policy" doesn't allow for me to know such private info! If challenged, I believe certain persons will be scrambling to uncover a ‘policy’ from a cobwebbed HQ basement to lend credence to their stand. For the record, I found the stats in a recently discarded Dispo and with "a little help from my friends" and shared them.- (sorry, but we live only a stone's throw from Penny Lane and at 5:14 AM I couldn't control the temptation.)
Well
here’s a policy statement over a century old, but I wonder how many have ever
seen it? Or better yet, accept and honour the founder's sentiment. What incredible foresight God gave him...
"The (former) ex-officer, no
matter what was the cause that resulted in his loss to our fighting forces, is
still a child of the Army. He entered the sacred circle. He became one of us,
sharing our joys and sorrows, losses and crosses. He received the commission of
a divinely-appointed authority to proclaim Salvation, build up men and women in
their most holy faith, and help to win someone to God. He received the spirit
of officership, whereby he mingled amongst us, for a season, as one of us, and
go where he likes, and do what he likes, the imprint of the life he lived will
remain. Time will not efface it; sin even will not blot it out. So that in a
sense which we ought ever to remember, the ex-Officer still belongs to The
Salvation Army".
Field Officer (December 1900) pp. 453-4.
I wonder how many are familiar with the Founder’s definition of former officers? And am I naïve to believe that one day we might be asked how we treated those he considered family… What a wonderful claim of assurance we have- those who once served under the same tri-colour remain members of TSA family.
I wonder how many are familiar with the Founder’s definition of former officers? And am I naïve to believe that one day we might be asked how we treated those he considered family… What a wonderful claim of assurance we have- those who once served under the same tri-colour remain members of TSA family.
Our fellowship is not a secret one.
More than 83,000 persons, mostly Salvationist have found our blog site –
ranging from 70 – 120 visitors per day. Here’s how one SA leader describes our
blog;
“As a
retired TSA officer, in some ways I feel like a former officer. And as a
retired Commissioner, I probably get a little more respect than others, but
believe me there are a lot of similarities between “former” and “sent out to
pasture.” I’ll not bore you with the parallels, except to say that since being
“pasturized”my understanding and empathy has increased greatly.
This said to
plug a blog site for former Salvation Army officers,www.fsaof.blogspot.com. I drop in
periodically becausethe well-written posts and discussion following helps me
keep everything in perspective. I would recommend the same for every not yet
“pasturized” leader because your day is coming soon (considering the age at
which most top leaders are appointed), but
more importantly because the insight gained there will provide balance to your
personnel related decision making during the interim.”
Joe Noland,
Commissioner
*********
How many SA leaders have read our almost 1,000 articles? From comments heard it's clear that our presence is known, but our purpose has been badly distorted.
How many SA leaders have read our almost 1,000 articles? From comments heard it's clear that our presence is known, but our purpose has been badly distorted.
--------------
And this from another visitor;
And this from another visitor;
I enjoy your blog so much!
It is the best unofficial Army blog I've seen on the internet yet! It
always has such good, in-depth and timely articles. Most of the others almost
all have a pentecostal flair to them with a skewered sense of SA history and
the writing isn't all that great either.
Journalist, Chicago
*********
We
have good reasons for having members. Among them; assisting them to no longer
qualify. And we rejoice that in the last few weeks several have been
disqualified, with our help, and have returned to their first Love serving as SA officers.
My
wife, a SA officer in the UKT, is regularly approached by active officers on learning her surname, who
share that it was the support and healing ministry of the FSAOF that moved
them to rethink and seek reinstatement to substantive rank. The very same sentiments have been received via
email and telephone calls from Australia, the USA and UK.
Most in our fellowship feel excluded and alienated and to at least a degree, and some for good reason. And many of us have no doubt made ourselves deserving of SA leaders’ and comrades’ disdain. The question then: who ought to take that first step? It’s a question Jesus wants a direct answer to!
Could our fellowship possibly have done any more than we’ve already done in proffering dialogue and reconciliation? What is it that makes TSA so standoffish to our offer to assist in stemming the flow of officer losses?
I'm going to open my birthday cards now - but hoping there'll be an email or two during the day telling me that; 'we're considering a return'. That would truly make my day!
Most in our fellowship feel excluded and alienated and to at least a degree, and some for good reason. And many of us have no doubt made ourselves deserving of SA leaders’ and comrades’ disdain. The question then: who ought to take that first step? It’s a question Jesus wants a direct answer to!
Could our fellowship possibly have done any more than we’ve already done in proffering dialogue and reconciliation? What is it that makes TSA so standoffish to our offer to assist in stemming the flow of officer losses?
I'm going to open my birthday cards now - but hoping there'll be an email or two during the day telling me that; 'we're considering a return'. That would truly make my day!
0151-733-7378



7 comments:
In my nearly 28 years as an officer I am not sure I have ever met anyone more driven, with more of a heart for the SA than Sven. His passion for our on-going mission and 'success' is ceaseless and it pains me that people misunderstand and misread his motives. I am proud to bear the name Ljungholm and pray the Lord will give me something of the mantle of my new family. Yes, I am me, with my character, my personality and my God given gifts that are different to Sven's but I believe we can be a powerful force for good within our Army. Through Sven and me I ask the Lord to 'bless our Army'. Hoping too you will have a 'Happy Birthday' with the news you constantly long to hear Sven. GBY real good and use you for His sake and His glory!
Glad Ljungholm
Active UKT
Sven, I will private message you but just to say my wife and I have just signed our application forms to return to Officership. You pulled us though from the depths of despair when we first resigned and nobody else wanted to know and no-one was there, to the present day, three years later. Thank you! Oh and by the way: 'Happy Birthday'!
Happy Birthday kiddo! Have a good one and try not to be too sad. Always remember that life goes on and GOD is STILL on the throne.
Daryl Lach
USA Central
Happy Birthday! My wife and I will be returning to officership soon, after an absence of a few years.We found some people that treated us (as formers)as though we had a contagious disease. Others took time to show an interest in us and spoke encouraging words, including the sincere request to become active once again. We found Christians in other churches that did not care if we were "formers"as compared to some Salvationists that thought that we did "something wrong". I was told that a Territorial Commander sought info about our case to find out that we left officership for family and personal reasons and that we had a good record.
I have seen some very interesting writings on this site and have come to the conclusion that although at times we may all have some differences, there is something that binds us together and that is the love and grace of Jesus.
Blessings,
USA Former- Western Territory Transfer
Need prayer for a important meeting.
I would like to be an Officer again. I will have completed my two years of restoration period.
I pray that God will open the doors again. I long to be used as an Officer again.
Please pray for me.
Thanks
former USA Central
Sven, as you know only too well, and as we've learned, some of life's most important issues can't be rushed,
We are formers in Canada and praying for re acceptance. It was in large part the healing and influence found in this fellowship that caused us to rethink our decision.
God bless the FSAOF real good.
Manitoba
I am glad for those who seek to return be officers again. I left under difficult circumstances and was told to ask for re-acceptance in a couple of years. When I did I found out the Chief Secretary and the Territorial Commander attached a note to our personnel jacket that I was never to be reaccepted and they also informed NHQ in case I applied in another territory. All of this because I had a mental breakdown. Through much counseling and and acceptance by other believers. A church accepted my ordination from God through the Army and I have been serving in this ministry since 1998. I found out there is life outside the Army and God still blesses. I love the ministry of the Army and everything about it except the politics that kept my wife and I out. God bless you all for seeking to serve the Lord through the Army or any other Christian ministry.
Former USA West
Post a Comment