Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Yep, it's music and lights and trees. It's wreaths and Chrismons* and eggnog. It's cookies and parties and friends and family and lists and baking and shopping and wrapping and cards and pictures. It's pine candles and incense. They carry frankinsence and myrhh at my local health food market. How cool is that? !

(*Chrismons™ are handmade Christmas tree ornaments with various symbols of Christianity. The name Chrismon™ comes from a combination of CHRISt and MONogram)

It is about all things spiritual and all things secular.

Where does this all lead? For me, it leads to Advent; year after year. Somehow always the same and yet different each time. It oddly draws me to great lengths of time in self introspection and contemplation. Don't get me wrong. This isn't all about Jesus. Or God. Or even religion. In fact, it's mostly about questioning all those things as it leads me past Christmas and on to New Years.

Don't write me off as heretical yet because it is truly my time of searching; ever again, each year. In a way it prepares me for New Years and New Year's Eve.

Long, long ago, during the officership years, I heard a sermon or teaching (don't remember exactly) by someone (don't remember that either) but I do remember this. Luke 2:53 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature and in favour with God and man. Whomever it was lecturing talked about how this verse was an example for us to grow in the same ways. I took that as my verse then and there and each year during Advent I've set 'goals' to grow in wisdom, stature, and in favor with God and man. Those goals have served me well through the years past.

1) Wisdom has gotten me through college as an older, non-traditional student. It has pushed me to try ballet and tap dancing, Greek cooking, new authors and topics, and kayaking among other things. It's allowed me to learn that I am not 'one with the clay' when I tried pottery. And that I'm a klutz when I tried juggling. It's been reading and watching film and theater that pushed me to think outside of my usual areas of enjoyment. It has brought new friends, some for life, some more fleeting. It has been a veritable encyclopedia of new experiences. Oft experiences I shall not undertake again but many that have become standard parts of life for years now. None, though, looked back on with regret.

2) Stature can be a stumper since I'm not moved to physical activity by design. Those steps at Devil's Millhopper still call my name. Sometimes it's more time on the bike paths. Maybe a year of vegetarianism. Or avoiding sugar or fries. Twice it was new knees. I’ve tried bowling and running and weight machines. And stair steppers and Jazzercise. There have been better and worse years for hitting the gym regularly. Better and worse years for hanging in there working on stature. Ever trying to remember the body is a temple. This year – golf.

3) In favor with God, wow, what a long list from which to select. More prayer, fasting, meditation, memorization? Reading old favorites and finding new ones. Being aware of opportunities to counsel and witness to those so far away from my beliefs I wonder how they made it my life at all. Learning to be quiet. That's tough for me. By nature I'm outgoing so quieting is tough for me. The mountains or woods or river help me considerably. And weddings. What an honor that my friends allow me to be the celebrant of their commitments. We come together with a mutual respect for each other though having vastly differing backgrounds. When spiritual matters prevail, spirit prevails.

4) And finally, in favor with man. There were times when I felt like my few years of officership were all the favor with man I ever needed to curry. It was like my time had been banked and now I could withdraw from the balance on hand. For better or worse, I got over it. There have been adventures into service with Florida Trail Association, Gainesville Area AIDS Network, Business and Professional Women, American Business Womens Association, Zonta, churches and others long lost in memory. For some it was fundraising for community needs, for others time as President and other board positions. Choirs? Done it. Children? Done it. Currently I manage websites and produce newsletters for two local groups. Service comes where is comes. I stay open.

So there you have it; my recipe for growing into Christ-like-ness. Not that I’ll ever be 'complete' this side of heaven, but the discipline of each year is recorded where I see it daily and the effort has always been worth it. Because of it I am more loving, more accepting, and more fun. I grow closer to God and closer to man (in service anyway) and my wisdom and stature have definitely increased.

Yes, it is the MOST wonderful time of the year. How does your check list look ?

Deborah Taube
Former Officer
USA South

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting perspective on how one can dissect and use a verse in self analysis and improvement. I also find it interesting how the many contributors to this forum come away from officership, and to see that their faith is strong and vibrant and key in going forward.

I did a bit of day dreaming yesterday and envisaged myself opening fire in a mid-size town where no SA corps had ever been established. I was given the option to select 12 good men (and women). Do you know what surprized me as I went through the selection process ? Only two of those I selected were active officers. The remainder were all comrades from this fellowship, and of those, only one is really known to me. That says a great deal to me about who you all are !

May God bless us as we continue to grow in faith and serve in love.

Former
UKT

Anonymous said...

Deborah, your concept of contemplation though Advent seems most appropriate to me. 'Prepare the way of the Lord' ... 'Make straight the rough roads ... and a highway for our God' it occurs to me that you are doing just that whether consciously or unconsciously. You mention in your article about it not all being spiritual and that some of your thinking and preparation is secular. Doesn't this just help bring about some of the wholeness of life. I think it does.

Thank you for sharing your musings in such an interesting and challenging way.

Continue to grow in the grace and the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

They say 'Curiosity killed the cat' ... Anonymous, who would you take with you to start a new opening???

Anonymous said...

Lest I be labeled a cat killer.... lol

From the list of 17,000 or so 'actives' in the world, I would select my wife, and those actives who have written for the blog; I think that makes 3 total. The other 9 would include seven who already posted to the blog and 2 who haven't yet written , but need to be heard from ( D in the USA and J in Canada).

I appreciate folk who get involved, those with a burning passion to see lives changed, throwing themselves into the fray; not just sitting on the sidelines.

Former
UK

Anonymous said...

you see where this can go don't you? The work still must be done.

Willing
USA

Anonymous said...

Sign me up too! This time around without rank. Wait a minute...then how will we know who will be in charge?

FloridaFlamingo said...

Ah, but that's the beauty of it all.

Anonymous said...

the guy that stays at the bottom with the people is in charge.