Wednesday, January 12, 2011

TRUST

Trust: Gordon MacDonald on The Root of Leadership

GordonmacdonaldFrom time to time I refer to Gordon MacDonald on this blogsite. I think Gordon is an amazing kind of leader. I've had classes with him. He has been to Living Word Community Church several times for leadership conferences. I've read most of his books and many of the articles he has written.
He is one of those wise, senior leaders who has so much to say for any who will take the time to listen and learn.


Here are some words about trust that come from an article in Leadership, Winter 2003, "The Root of Leadership."


MacDonald says,


I learned quickly in my youngest pastoral years that people would follow only so far if I traded exclusively on my natural gifts; words that came easily, personal charm, new ideas and dreams . . .
The pastor learns the hard way that good ideas and promising strategies are not enough. They can't make it without trust . . .
I once forfeited the trust of people I cared for very much. I lost some very precious friendships. And I lost my honor. To regain any of what was lost took a long time.


Trust2These words hit me. Unlike Gordon, I haven't lost trust like he did for large numbers of people in such a short time. But like Gordon, I have lost the trust of individuals. And I have also made the mistake of thinking I had trust when I didn't.


I, like many leaders, think our gifts and abilities, our good vision and strategies, our position or title are sufficient to keep followers. Yes, we can "wow" some of the people some of the time. Yes we can impress some of them some of the time. But people will only follow so long on a "wow" factor.


Trust takes time. It is why leadership longevity is crucial.
Trust requires a substance of character that consistently does the right thing.
Trust happens in relational contexts of healthy, loving interaction.
Trust is hard to gain and easy to lose.


Keep it on the front burner of your life and leadership.


No comments: