Should euthanasia be the new definition for black?
"Do not kill yourself," said world pianist Arthur Rubinstein, "you’ll regret it within a year."
He knew what he was talking about. 21-year-old, penniless and desperate, he decided to take his life. The question was: how? "I had no guns, no poison, and the thought of jumping out the window was disgusting - I could well be forced to go through life with broken arms and legs."
It got to be hanging. Young Arthur drew the belt from his old coat and fixed it on a hook in the bathroom. But when the suicide attempt was made the belt slipped off and he tumbled to the floor.
This happened in Berlin in 1908. In those days one could not get suicide assistance. But 100 years later the suicide industry seems to thrive.
Holland has been at the forefront of active euthanasia. As the first country after Nazi Germany legalized, its practice was legalized in 2002.
More and more people make use of their new rights. In 2003 the number of people killed were 1815 people, the 2008 number was 2331 and the year after that, 2636.
This week, Dutch Radio reported that the association NVVE, "Dutch Association for Voluntary Death", is now seeking funding to open a suicide clinic where not only dying, but also people with mental illnesses and early dementia, can be helped to kill themselves.
Whether the clinic becomes a reality or not, it is a frightening development.
When a euthanasia debate begins in one country - as it has in Sweden - is it always the most severely ill, the dying, those with irregular pains, which are taken as examples of people who should be allowed to "die with dignity", as they say in these contexts.
Now, nine years after the groundbreaking law in the Netherlands we are talking about people who are not dying, but that is - so what? Looking into the near future will it include, the guilt-ridden, the lonely, victims of poor mental health?
We should not be surprised at the development. When a society has abandoned the view that health care is to cure and alleviate illness, and begin to see death as a "cure", then there really is no upper barrier.
People can, of course, be deemed unworthy to live meaningless, unbearable lives for almost reasons whatsoever.
Moreover, it is conceivable that the better standard of living people attain to, the more "security addictive' the influential middle class can afford to become; the tighter and more luxurious is the definition of what constitutes" a dignified life ".
In Holland, euthanasia opponents argue that the increase in active death-assistance is because life-care has deteriorated since the law was enacted They are not alone in that interpretation. Even former Health Minister Els Borst, who pushed through the law, has complained that it appears to have undermined the palliative care.
What would happen if a society became accustomed to the idea of mental illness and dementia (sufferers) may / can / should choose death?
How would it affect health care resources? And, above all, what would it be like to have a psychiatric diagnosis and to know that the "dignified" way to confront it, according to the prevailing norm, is to ask to die?
Arthur Rubinstein said in his memoirs that after the suicide attempt ended he emerged into a changed world. Before his mental trial, he had prepared himself by painting everything in gloomy colors. But now: "The streets, trees, houses, dogs chasing each other, men and women, everything looked different." His life changed forever.
"In this chaos, I discovered secret of happiness, which I still cherish: Love life for better or for worse, unconditionally."
translation: Dr. Sven Ljungholm

8 comments:
This is a very controversial subject. My own views on the subject have changed over time.
Let me start by saying that I am very much against suicide simply as 'a way out'. I have prayed for family who have attempted suicide, I have done all I can to help others I know who have attempted suicide. I do not believe it is the answer.
However, I have come to draw a distinction between euthanasia and suicide.
Up until my second year of training in TSA Training college, I was a staunch opponent of euthanasia for all the traditional reasons. Then in my second year of training, we were sent out on our 'social out-training assignments' (for those not of TSA, that's where cadets get sent out for a period of time to a social institution to get hands on experience of TSA's work in those places). I was sent to an aged care centre.
There were all levels of care there - from those who were largely independent, but needed a little observation, those who were in hostel type accomodation who had all their meals etc done for them and had 24 hour supervision. And those who were in high dependency nursing care. The first two areas I thought were fantastic. When my rotation took me to the high dependency nursing home, I was shocked. I saw people who didn't know their own name, or their loved ones. I saw people who couldn't feed or toilet themselves or even move without assistance and who couldn't even think like a human - they were no more than shells - not even animals. I saw no spark of life in them.
I came back from my social out-training, and when I was asked by my Training Officer how it had changed me, I said it made me realise that in certain cases, euthanasia should be mandatory.
TSA view on euthanasia is obviously against it. However, it draws a distinction between treatment, euthanasia (I don't like the term 'assisted suicide' as I draw a distinction between euthanasia and suicide), and needlessly prolonging life. These I believe are extremely important distinctions to make.
There are those (such as diabetics, those with heart conditions, HIV) who need medication for their whole life in order to live. But they can think and have a quality of life. Then there are those who need medication in their retirement, but there is still that spark of life. But to keep people alive (and I use that word loosely here) because we can, is itself playing God. The more human thing to do is to accept the will of God, and let them die with dignity and without suffering, and if that means 'helping them to do so', then so be it.
Just some thoughts.
Yours in Christ,
Graeme Randall
Former Australian East
This is a tough area to discuss but, much like Graeme, I believe there is a place for euthanasia. The concept of prolonging life for the sake of prolonging life is a relatively new one in society due to the constant onslaught of research and drugs. To be sure there is a huge gap between prolonging and terminating but as with abortion and other controversial topics I believe these are best addressed by the individuals concerned rather than by those outside the circle. Try as we may to legislate and edict people will always be moved by their own core beliefs even when they oppose the greater populace. Thank you for stirring the thought pot once again.
Graeme - I am going to post you privately as well.
In 1986 a doctor spoke to me and my family members about my mother . She had cancer that was destroying her body and she was refusing any more treatments. The doctor had just revived our mother because her heart had failed. He asked us to think for 2 minutes if we wanted to put her on life support and that he would return for our answer. We all remembered mom's request for no extension of life. She was ready to go. We told the doctor that her desire was to not be placed on life support and we watched her take her last breath within the hour. She was at peace and we all knew that is what mom wanted. To keep her alive would have been a sin.For 2 months she was a zombie and drugged as to not even know what was happening around her. That is not life. She was 62 years old and ready to face eternity. Some times it is better to die instead of living like a vegetable.
USA East former
A follow up article is under way: THE NEW EBODY SITE
This is a very, very difficult subject to ponder and it is only going to get much more complicated as more people live longer and medical technology advances.
As a nurse who has worked with people for years who are living full lives (or as full as they can)while hooked up to a ventilator (most of the kids even go to school) I get really angry when I hear people question the value of their lives and ask capitalist-puritan type questions such as "who's paying for all of this?" while suggesting that the plugs should all be pulled to "balance the budget" etc.
On the other hand I've seen deadly ill older people being kept alive on hemodialysis machines who've made it clear with a simple look on their face that it was their time to go and that they wanted to be left alone, being revived with CPR by some nurse, Doctor or tech who wanted to play the hero.(btw, DNR--do not resuscitate-- documents are often very fuzzy as to what their meaning is really about under different circumstances---and also the patient or legal guardian with power of attorney can change their minds at the last second.)
I think Graeme's solution makes the best sense. It should be worked out among the person and the intimates involved as soon as it's seen that a problem might soon arise. (The government should keep it's nose out of it.) But I might add---- this should occur only after the parties involved have been educated on the subject by a panel of professionals. I mean, some people who don't know any better see a gastric tube as "life support" and think that a person who would otherwise be O.K. should slowly starve to death rather then get nutrition with the aid of one!
My biggest fear is the political fallout from the aging of the population in first world countries. Many politicians are single issue candidates who come up with "one size fits all" simple solutions to complex problems. Whether or not euthanasia becomes as big a "single issue" in the future as (for instance)abortion has been in the U.S. in the past, remains to be seen.(I can't speak for any other country.)
Unfortunately though, if it does, with all of the single issue voters out there who think simple answers to complex questions is a sign of moral and theological purity instead of what it really is: a sign of small mindedness and stupidity, we will always run the risk of electing more inept political leaders (George W. Bush comes to mind!)in the future!
Daryl Lach
USA Central
"You Must Go Home By the Way of the Cross To Stand with Jesus in the Morning!"
Oh, so sorry Graeme! I don't know where I ever got the impression that you wrote it should be decided by intimates and the person involved. You didn't.(But then again I did read it last night and didn't reply until this morning.)You actually wrote that in some cases euthanasia should be mandatory. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there and for the reasons I stated above. (uh duh, is it actually possible that we don't agree on something??!!) My beliefs are actually more in tune with USA East former's views.
Daryl Lach
USA Central
Hi Daryl,
We're allowed to disagree on at least one point. However, 15years after I made that comment about 'mandatory euthanasia', I have to admit that it might have been a bit too strong a sentiment. I was just so deeply disturbed at the time by what I saw.
Today, I would lean more towards you and former USA east. But I think the option should at least be there. I certainly would not want to 'exist' in such a state, and would hope that someone at that time would give me a very high dose of morphine or something to 'ease my pain', and then just watch me drift off to the Father.
I hate seeing people suffer, and when people are suffering like that, with no hope of recovery, or chance of regaining their 'sanity' etc etc etc., then we should at the very least have the same rights that are given to animals. Why should we show more mercy and compassion to dogs then we do to humans? Is it for the person that we are against euthanasia? Or is it for us who are still alive that we are against euthanasia? Is it because we don't want to say goodbye to someone that we are so appalled by it?
Just some more thoughts.
Yours in Christ,
Graeme Randall
Former Australian East.
I have also watched a family member die by choice having refused to accept certain mandated strategies. This individual was ready to leave the earthly body for the heavenly and there was no fear of death. Perhaps fear of living but not living. I hope I am allowed to exit the same way. Peacefully, gracefully, thankfully, and surrounded by those who love me.
Post a Comment