Monday, November 10, 2008

YES I MISS WEARING MY SA UNIFORM (part 5)

After many years of feeling less than a part of the Army, realizing they wanted us out, we gave them what they wanted and on April 30th of this year we resigned our officership. I had served faithfully for 32 years and Randy for 25. Our love for God and subsequently the work we were given to do in the Army was so precious to us. Our children knew nothing else and are divided in what they feel they should do. One son continues to work as the Youth Pastor in our home corps, but not without difficulty.

Now, as we have removed ourselves from the situation and the Army we look back through much clearer glasses and see so much. I believe the number one problem in the Army is politics, and ‘politics as usual’. We keep thinking someone new will come along and at least attempt to fix the areas that concern us but it never seems happens. Second, the love of money is becoming rampant in the Army in the USA. Buildings are still getting bigger, budgets are still getting bigger, homes (quarters) are getting fancier and are in areas other than where we serve, and fewer and fewer people are getting saved. Fewer people are attending our Sunday meetings and activities. We were ridiculed by our leaders because we actually had a real Salvation Meeting active in our corps. We were averaging 93 people on Sunday evenings and weekly, people were getting saved, with only the Corps Sergant Major standing alongside us to help. We had taken our after-school program to an area where the children were not given any educational support whatsoever. We were fortunate enough to have the offer of a common room given to us to hold this program, at no charge, and on Fridays we held SonDay’s Cool there. What an impact that was having on that little community ! The United Way would not fund it as it wasn’t in the Army building and now the plan is to take it out of the school and bring it back to the corps’ building at the cost of those families, for money. It’s all about money. It’s all about MORE money.

I’m no longer angry, I’m no longer hurting or reeling as I was a year ago. I do feel sad at times because were not able to make the changes we felt we should. We followed our hearts, our souls and our consciences only to be hurt over and over by the leadership of the Army.

Randy is now a associate professor at a university here in our home town.
Ironically, he teaches Organizational Leadership, Faith and World Views and Human Resources. He has the respect of his leaders, his students and fellow faculty members. I am a stay-at-home mom for the time being, caring for our two adopted children, Donnie who is four and Torrie who is three. We have found a wonderful church home where we have become active in Bible studies and the children in their activities as well.

I would not be telling the truth if I said I don’t miss the Army. I miss the mission, my homeless people, the children we worked with, and my friends, but I do not miss any of the politics, the unhappy colleagues, the people who can’t find any satisfaction unless they are making someone else unhappy and the leadership who feel they have to be controlling and looking down at those who they say they are supporting and serving.

We are content to be in His service in a new place. We are pleased that He has seen fit to equip us for new work and gives us opportunities to do just that.


Former Officer
(name and contact information supplied on request)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am on the fence on this one.

Perhaps HQ should have been brought into the matter immediately, prior to any promises being made to the mother. And, one must also question the intellect of the natural mother, her willingness to so readily give up her baby to a virtual stranger. Perhaps she had a child or children earlier and saw them transferred from one uncaring facility or family to another, but now saw love and stability?

I see no wrong committed by either the army or the former officer.

God bless you and your family.

Former
UKT

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sven for sharing this most compelling but yet controversial story. I'm certain both the writer and you had some misgivings on the wisdom of going forward with it. I commend you for doing so.

I wonder how much editing one might have to do in a story such as this one. If any was done, it did not lessen the reader being drawn into the pain of the writer's soul. I also commend whoever selected the photos used in the article; very appropriate and complemented the story well.

Abundant blessing and may God be in the centre of all we undertake.

Active
UK

Anonymous said...

In England the number of willing adoptive families is dropping. And families willing to adopt a boy fall far below those seeking a girl.

I am similar to others who shared comments. I sense your pain but can well understand the army needing to hold a firm line on these type matters.

Active officer
UK Territory

FORMER SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS FELLOWSHIP said...

To answer the questions re editing and photos used in the article... there was very little editing, and mostly done in order to keep names and locations anonymous. That is the case with most articles that are critical of specific leaders simply because no possibility of rebuttal is provided The SA.

All photos used in all articles are selected by me and I seek photos that complement the stories; often a stretch.

For 'formers' reading this, please give thought to writing from your experience and send to selmoscow@aol.com.

Blessings, Sven

jeff said...

the link to the post below was inspired by this series:

http://joymadecomplete.blogspot.com/2008/11/dislillusioned-or-creating-my-own.html

Anonymous said...

Jeff,I am writing with reference to your comments in part four.

Thank you for sharing your vulnerable, searching heart. Thanks too for your empathy and understanding towards the writer of this article. Like you, I too am adopted and thank God that we and others, including the writer's adopted children have experienced love.

Is this a case of Romans 8 '... and we know that all things work together for good, for those who love God and are called according to His purpose'? my paraphrase.

Active
UKT

Anonymous said...

Just commenting on part of your blog "... the love of money is becoming rampant in the Army in the USA. Buildings are still getting bigger, budgets are still getting bigger, homes (quarters) are getting fancier and are in areas other than where we serve..."

Its not just the US, I'e noticed the same in Australia.

I'm all for the provision of resources to officers to aid in the mission of the church, however there is something wrong when the standard of living provided is greater than 90% of the church and the local community can afford.

Its an indication of the values of the church.