Sunday, December 9, 2012

LIVING BY THE RIVER Part Two


Part Two

But it might be costing us dear in terms of depth - a depth essential to our ministry. Perhaps I should have titled this article, ‘Being what matters most’. Surely that is with Giuliani and Sangster are driving at? Surely that is what Jesus was driving at when he was chatting to Martha and Mary (Luke 10:38-42)? Is it not from our being that our doing arises?

Edward Miller wrote a song, the first verse of which begins, ‘Cause me to come to thy river, O Lord’. The second verse begins, ‘Cause me to drink from thy river, O Lord’ and verse three makes the prayer, ‘Cause me to live by thy river, O Lord.’

Whenever I sing that song I find myself longing to be by that river just a bit longer. But, no, there's too much to do. And supposing I did come to the river in order to drink and to live, how many Salvationists might I find there? Truth to tell, I’m not there often enough myself to be able to answer that question, but something tells me we might all be too busy doing to have time to stop and drink very often.

May be the essentials of our corporate life have been there (at the river bank) all the time. This is one of the numerous benefits of the 24/7/SA Prayer Movement whereby Army halls and centres remain open 24 hours a day for a week for prayer, with an atmosphere designed to be conducive to prayer. It would be impractical, I know, but how about 24/ 365/SA, so that we could visit the wondrous river more often?

As General Shaw Clifton’s book Who are These Salvationists? tells me, Nemo dat quod non habet means ‘You cannot give what you do not have’. If we Salvationists are not at the river often, we might wind up giving out without taking in. The worrying thing is, it is possible to do just that until, one day, we realize we are ‘running on empty’. Wouldn’t it be truly awful to realize we have worked ourselves into an army of Ichabods (see I Samuel 4:21)? I cannot think of anything sadder.

Bill Hybe’s writes in his book Too Busy Not To Pray: ‘I see ministers, elders, church committee members, operating at the same relentless pace as everyone else. Never a dull moment; never a reflective moment either. Frightened I ask myself, where does the still, small voice of God fit into our hectic lives? When do we allow him to lead and guide and correct and affirm? And if this seldom or never happens, how can we lead truly authentic Christian lives?’

As some kind of acid test, let me pose the question, which Bible text would best describe The Salvation Army? Sadly, I doubt if Psalm 46:10 would appear on many lists: ‘Be still, and know that I am God.’


Stephen Poxon
Former SA officer
UKIT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read Stephen Poxon's article on your blog. I didn't know that he was no longer an officer. In any event, I used to enjoy reading his stuff in The Officer.

Thanks for encouraging him to write.

Major
Canada

Anonymous said...

I must concur with Steven Poxon we spend too much time giving out and not enough time enjoying quality time by the river!! Our lives get so caught up with the mechanics of helping those who need support and help on their spiritual journey. We must bring everyone to the river to be refreshed and renewed to then continue on their journey, also to remind them to visit the river often.

Thanks Steven for the reminder.

CSM
ENGLAND