Friday, October 22, 2010

NIAGARA FALLS, OCT.21, 2010


















The wild sky, confused and unsure,
Of what it was or will become
Is torched in the west by a tired sun
whose work is almost and finally done.

A violent fall throws a veil of mist
Between the glorious end of a day
And a witness who wonders
How long this can stay.

With the heavy hint of winter’s coming
dark billows hover low but above
him. Black like the wet charred remains
of a burnt, doused home once filled with love.

A fiery ring where the sky meets the land
Leads his eye to the place where the day once began
And there on the opposite side of all that has been
A brilliant arc marks the where and the when.

Between the joy and brightness of the start
And a beautiful end that sometimes breaks a heart
Lies a torrent, a violent hurricane life
Filled with all sorts of unanticipated strife.

And so for a moment alone I stand
Between the beginning and the end
First looking back then at what’s ahead
And wonder in wonder at the wonder. Amen.

Sam Fritz
Former, USA East

7 comments:

Jeffery T Bassett said...

Thank you Sam!

Former USA East

Anonymous said...

Luv it! God Bless You Sam. You are truly a poet!

Btw, I have a hunch (though I could be wrong)that you're the same Former, USA East that I've had one or two minor run--ins with on this site but have always come out of it respecting you in the end. If it is you I can certainly see why. Anyone who can create such an eloquent piece of poetry is definitely a man of depth and Christ-like sensitivity.

Daryl Lach
USA Central

"You Must Go Home By the Way of the Cross, To Stand with Jesus in the Morning"

FORMER SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS FELLOWSHIP said...

Thank you Sam for sharing this, your first FSAOF contribution- well worth waiting for. In a week or so I'll post it on our corps' blog site.

Looking forward to regular contribution as the Spirit moves...

samfritz said...

Darryl, I don't recall any run-ins. But feel free to continue respecting me : ) Glad you enjoyed my word work/play.

Sam

FORMER SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS FELLOWSHIP said...

Daryl, I believe the vercuffle (verbal scuffle; talk about wordplay) was with a Former from the ET who now resides in Arizona- expect he might chime in.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clarifying that for me Sven. They both come across to me as pretty good guys either way!

Daryl Lach
USA Central

FloridaFlamingo said...

Thank you for the poetry and the picture of one of the loveliest places in our country, at least to me. I'm looking forward to what you share in the future....Former USA South