
Some thoughts on “a Call within a Call.”
I don’t presume to answer any of the questions I pose in this article, because only God knows the answers!
Just as background for new readers: as a single girl, I felt called by God to become an Officer, and to work in a country where the Army hadn’t yet been able to re-open its work - that would take another 12 years or so. Subsequently, I married, and we served as Officers together for a few years in the UKT, until, mainly for health reasons, we had to resign, and our circumstances now are such that I/we will never be able to return to Officership. Not being an Officer didn’t bother me too much while we worked in Caring jobs, and not going to the country to which God had called me didn’t bother me while we were Officers. So it was OK by me, but was it OK with God (?) , because I still wasn’t doing what He had called me to do. By the time the work re-commenced in that country, I had already begun to be troubled about not being an Officer, which became even more acute to me when the Army recommenced work in that country.
I can console myself with 2 things:
1) God’s Will will still be done, in spite of us – Sven and others who have written went and did the work I was called to do. His Plans won’t be frustrated, although other people won’t do exactly the same things in exactly the same ways as we would have done
.
2) Having read about the work in that country from those who did it, I realise that I had no idea at all of what working there would involve, and how it would be, and to be honest, I really don’t think I would have coped. However, maybe by then, after years of being within the perfect will of God, I would have been enabled, by perfect trust in Him, to do so.
That leads me to another thought. Commissioner Dudley Coles in his recently released book, “Leap of Faith” – which I thoroughly recommend – tells of a Canadian couple who answered the call of God to serve in an Asian country, but changed their minds en route while staying overnight in England. They had become increasingly fearful about going, but once the wheels of administration started turning, were too afraid to say so. I can’t imagine how that would be – all the Farewells, etc., having told everyone you’d answered the call of God to a specific country, then you change your mind/ don’t feel able to go, for whatever reason. I can empathise with that, and to say they couldn’t go now, must have taken courage. They were repatriated, and he - rightly – doesn’t identify them, or tell what happened after that. The inference is that they returned to an Appointment in Canada. I wonder where they are now, and what they’re doing, and are they still Officers?
Earlier in the book he tells how missionary Officers early in their term can feel tempted to get the next boat or plane home, but lack of money, pride, and logistical/geographical concerns prevent it – plus trust in God, and a sense of His specific Call to them. I remember that a previous writer on the “Formers” site who went to Russia said something similar.
Former
UKT
4 comments:
I recall as a Cadet our Training Principle telling us Officership is about 'stickability' ... there are times when it needs some really strong glue? Is superglue always available? Is it always right to use it? Or is it right for us sometimes to become unstuck?
Would God beat you up as much as you seem to do yourself? You say your resignation was mainly due to ill health and now there is no way you could return. I think God knows, He understands, He feels the depth of emotion within your heart and He loves, you! None of us can do anything to change the past, you seem to live with disappointment and regret. I just keep coming back to that place of thinking God knows, your heart, your mind, your will, your very being, your intentions in the past, the present and the future. I think God would say to you from Matt. 11 'Walk with Me, work with Me. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace' and remember' I am gentle and humble in spirit. Don't beat yourself up, because neither do I. I love you. You are my child. You are honoured and precious in my sight.' And, for today, 'Walk with Me, work with Me. Learn the UNFORCED rhythms of grace.'
May you know Him holding you close to Him in His love and care.
Active UKT
Dear Former,
I too, due circumstances I couldn't control, found myself unable to follow my call to serve in a foreign land. My spouse made it known to our HQ that she would accept a move to only certain countries, and in time, to only certain select appointments in our home territory. In time it led to divorce and resignation.
She has since returned to full time service. Due my age and the divorce the army has made it known that, while I am welcome to return to full time service, there willnot be any consideration made relative to accommodating my 'calling' to serve in a missionary capacity.
I am active in my corps and will have to settle for annual visits as a volunteer worker in the country to which I feel called. On my retirement I will move there and serve out the years the Lord gives me.
Your description; Call within a Call suits my circumstance to a tee, and I have settled in my mind that's where God wishes me to serve.
Former
USA
My husband & I also resigned due to health issues (we were both burned out, w/a preemie newborn, whom turned out to be autistic). Others, inclu. folks at my home corps, were insensitive & judgmental about us "leaving the work". Apparently, this is equated w/"leaving God". This lack of acceptance also resulted in us leaving the Army. However, we have been faithful to our churches in the various communities in which we have lived the past 23 yrs. I found peace in the following 2 convictions: God always has a contingency plan (if you can't or won't step in for Him in a certain place or capacity, He'll send someone whom is able to do so); &, God never says, "Sorry, you blew it, & so I can't trust you w/any other assigments." So, I've learned to pray, "God, open my eyes to the doors you are opening." When I first started praying this, I had no idea that I would be leaving my home country (Canada) & end up in the deep south of the US. The doors to ministry are always open--esp. if we look for the opportunities vs. a particular position (e.g., leadership position w/in the church). So, be of good cheer & courage: you may have resigned fr. officership, but not fr. God. I'm confident that you have ministered "to the least of these" right where you are, in your own community. I'm sure there are many times that you have "given the cup of cold water" via a needed smile, a hug, or a word of encouragement. So, I pray that God will pour that cup of water back on you many times over, too.
Grace & Peace & God's Richest Blessings :)
Post a Comment