Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Abe, are we Self-employed or Indentured Servants?

"Let me start by saying thank you for the opportunity to write. This will be a very technical posting. I have pulled information directly from the IRS.gov website. I will be responding intermittently throughout. My comments will be surrounded by asterisks *Hello*. This posting is specific to tax law in the U.S.A. but I welcome responses from others as well to get your opinions.

Obviously I am not a tax attorney, but I can read and I have a better than average IQ. I now ask you...As TSA officers in the United States were we truly self-employed?
From "http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq12.html".

How do you determine if a person is an employee or an independent contractor?

The determination is complex, but is essentially made by examining the right to control how, when, and where the person performs services. It is not based on how the person is paid, how often the person is paid, or whether the person works part-time or full-time.There are three basic areas which determine employment status:

* behavioral control
* financial control and
* relationship of the parties

For more information on employer-employee relationships, refer to Chapter 2 of Publication 15, Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide and Chapter 2 of Publication 15-A (PDF), Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide. If you would like the IRS to determine whether services are performed as an employee or independent contractor, you may submit Form SS-8 (PDF), Determination of Worker Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding. *This form is very straightforward. At the beginning it gives you the ability to put into your own words why you are even trying to figure out whether you were self-employed or not. Then it has specific questions under each of the three topics listed above.*

Unless you think you were an employee, you should report your nonemployee compensation on Form 1040, Schedule C (PDF), Profit or Loss from Business (Sole Proprietorship), or Form 1040, Schedule C-EZ (PDF), Net Profit From Business. You also need to complete Form 1040, Schedule SE (PDF), Self-Employment Tax, and pay self-employment tax on your net earnings from self-employment, if you had net earnings from self-employment of $400 or more. This is the method by which self-employed persons pay into the social security and Medicare trust funds. *Obviously as officers we were directed and instructed to report our earnings as self-employed on our annual tax returns and pay the quasi-quarterly estimated tax advance payments mentioned in the next paragraph.*

Generally, there are no tax withholding on this income. Thus, you may have been subject to the requirement to make quarterly estimated tax payments. If you did not make timely estimated tax payments, you may be assessed a penalty for an underpayment of estimated tax. Employees pay into the social security and Medicare trust funds, as well as income tax withholding, through payroll deductions.

*The Salvation Army provided the quarterly tax payments and we were expected to pay them immediately and were told that we would be terminated (even the use of that term intones employer/employee relationship) immediately if proof was found that we had not used the money for its intended purpose, a la embezzlement. My wife and I paid most of our tax payments, but actually got behind because our life was falling apart (details in the future) and used it to keep our family glued. It DID work and my wife and kids are doing well, but we now owe taxes to the government. We owe enough that we actually were scared...of the IRS and The SA. We brought it to our DC's attention thinking there would be some kind of help because of our special circumstances (we weren't binging on food or toys or anything). He said he would check and get back to us. We also specifically asked if my wife could work at a part time job just to pay off the debt. We were emphatically denied. We were trying to do the responsible thing by working off our own debt. Instead they kept us in debt... indentured servitude ...another indication that we were not in control of our employment as 'self-employed contractors'.*

If you are not sure whether you are an independent contractor or an employee, complete Form SS-8 (PDF), Determination of Employee Work Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding. For more information on employer-employee relationships, refer to Chapter 2 of Publication 15, Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide, and Chapter 2 of Publication 15-A (PDF), Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide, and Publication 1779 (PDF), Employee Independent Contractor Brochure. For information on the tax responsibilities of self-employed persons, refer to Chapter 2 of Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

*I believe that if enough officers and former officers signed a petition with a description of their officership and filled out form SS-8 the law would immediately change, no matter how many tax lawyers The SA has on retainer.

Here are the facts as I see them: officers cannot negotiate where they work; they cannot negotiate how much they are paid; and they cannot negotiate how much they work. Those three items seem to take care of the three conditions listed above.

Now it's your turn. Tell us your stories about tax payments and whether you believe (according to the definition) that you were actually self-employed or an employee.*

References:

* Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax
* Tax Topic 762, Independent Contractor vs. Employee
* Tax Topic 407, Business Income
* Tax Topic 355, Estimated Tax
www.irs.gov
Source: www.irs.gov

Former Officer
USA

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess more than a few of us looked to various justifications in validating our resignations; the law in your case. Nonetheless in leaving officership we all broke, at least in part, our Covenant. While I still deem my divorce from officership justified, the "separation" will always remain painful.

It's rumored that in some circumstances similar to your own, THQ stepped in provide an out for certain long serving officers.

I'd be interested to know if you are still obligated to pay the IRS and once satisfied, will the army allow you to return to full rank ? From the sound of your article though, even if allowed to return it will take some time before your bitterness dissipates and you'd probably benefit from a period of separation... In my case it took two years. I am now an active soldier again.

I wish you and your family well.
Former
USA

Anonymous said...

Other anonymous, the tax implications were not the reason we left. I think I will be able to write fully about our situation at a later time. The taxes were a side issue. The "justification", to use your word, was spiritual abuse. Yes, I said abuse. Yes I am bitter and I will be for awhile, because I don't see anyone in leadership willing to help make amends.

In preparing to write this article I came across another new blogger that seemed to sum it up well.

"Am I obliged to give forgiveness to a giant organization? Or to the individuals involved? And if I am, are they obliged to acknowledge the wrongs and repent...and if so how publicly?"

http://formertsaofficer.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Isn't our first covenant to God, to prioritize our relationship with Him first, spouse second, and family third...then our ministry? I'm pretty sure that God's preference is for us not to neglect those responsibilities when making decisions about our ministry opportunities. Any resignation is valid as I see it, if priorities are broken outside of what God's word specifies...or if you are being asked to break those priorities in order to fulfill your covenant with a ministry.

Anonymous said...

I am very appreciative of this blog site and the opportunities provided to share our varied experiences as officers. When speaking with a pastor of a prominent denomination about an unpleasant experience with SA leadership while assessing my covenant and imminent resignation he said; "Bob, the only difference between your church and ours is that we outnumber yours a hundredfold. Everything else is the same; identical egos, enmity and envy. Only the names and the collars worn differ!"

Former
USA East

Anonymous said...

I guess the question that one might pose to the author of the article and to all formers is, "do you regret the time (months/years) serving in SA ministry"

To me it was a most treasured time...

former
UKT

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you, friend. Thank you for sharing something of your pain as many have through this blog, and as a result of writing things as you see them have experienced something of a healing process begin.

Much could be said in response to what you have written. However, I will refrain from doing so. It is my sincere prayer that you will know peace with God, peace with self, peace with others and peace with the Army for your own sake.

May God richly bless you and your family in these days.

Anonymous said...

I guess the question that one might pose to the author of the article and to all formers is, "do you regret the time (months/years) serving in SA ministry"

To me it was a most treasured time...

former
UKT

Wednesday, 17 September, 2008


I guess you could ask me that question and this would be my answer: No, not generally. But I do regret certain decisions that I made that put the Army first and my family second. It took too many of those instances to make me aware of the abuse (uh oh, I said it again)in my own head. The final straw was, if I had acquiesced to the leadership, a decision that they knew would do actual physical and emotional harm to members of my family.

I do not regret becoming an officer or the ministry, because I know I was called to be an officer...at least for that time in my life.

Anonymous said...

Interesting that instead of answering the questions posed by the author, instead everyone seems to be implying that he or she needs to be at peace with the army, and to even think about holding the SA to any level of accountability even by bringing up this issue implies that the author can't forgive or isn't a peace. Accountability is Biblical-even if it means the possibility of the army being wrong on a policy or procedure.

Anonymous said...

My problem is, and based only on the facts that have been shared with us, the author had responsibility to use the funds entrusted to him for one specific purpose only. He decided to commit a fraud and used the funds for personal gain/advantage. The extenuating circumstances may indeed have been great and pressing, however, motivation doesn't change the facts of misappropriation of SA funds.

One wonders if the author and family had spent money or uised credit unwisely, even foolishly, and sought an escape. Perhaps the correct course of action would have been to meet with creditors AND concurrently been open and frank with The SA.

Assessing this matter from a distance I see an officer, perhaps at wits end, scrambling to make the family's woes a bit lighter, but in so doing, broke an agreed to SA procedure and principle.

One wonders what apology The SA was expected to issue, or is it more a matter of face saving and not admitting to having committed a fraudulent breech of trust?

We have all had occasions where we experienced a personal hurt and deemed the army at fault, and often rightly so In my own mind. There were times I asked for an apology and they were issued, and a few times when nothing was forthcoming; those few times when leadership were too lofty and too smal. l I simply wrote it off as their being in the wrong appointments at the time. Strangely, none ever moved farther up the HQ ladder, and one moved down 3 pegs in the next change of appointments. Few know why, but I was privy to the reasons why due overhearing comments from the then TC while both of us were in a far distant country attending a congress. Is seems the demoted leader regularly threatened and demeaned his underlings and never admitting to wrongs.

Hope and believe all things come together for good to those who love (and serve) the Lord.

former
UKT

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Interesting that instead of answering the questions posed by the author, instead everyone seems to be implying that he or she needs to be at peace with the army, and to even think about holding the SA to any level of accountability even by bringing up this issue implies that the author can't forgive or isn't a peace. Accountability is Biblical-even if it means the possibility of the army being wrong on a policy or procedure.

Thursday, 18 September, 2008

So is our own accountability...sometimes we find this the hardest to acknowledge or accept.

Anonymous said...

As I stated in the article, I tried to ask for help and we wanted to responsibly pay it back. We were denied. We are currently working with the IRS on the tax and have already started a repayment schedule. Being from the UK, you may not realize the implications of medical costs on officers from the US. With no socialized medicine there are many things that need to be paid out of pocket if they are not approved by the insurance company. And as I mentioned, the leadership would not allow either of us to take even a part time job. We were "scrambling" to you use your word, but not because of frivolous spending. We decided to put our children's medical needs first.

And these weren't the personal hurts that came from the army leadership. We just took those facts as extra expenses that we had to pay (and now pay back)...but that is NOT why we left officership.

Also, just so everyone reading is aware when we asked for help we were told that 75% of officers in our territory owe the IRS at least one tax payment. What does that say about the army and how we were/are paid in the US? I come back to my original question should we, under the definition of the IRS rules, be considered employees instead of self-employed?

And as a side note, maybe the army should just kick out all the officers that "misappropriated" funds....

Anonymous said...

You are right, living in the UK I cannot really begin to understand some of the very real difficulties and pressures you have to face in the States without the luxury of the NHS (National Health Service).

However, the other evening as I was out door-to-door collecting for the SA Annual Appeal I was made to think on what you have written. I met one gentleman who was very angry and bitter towards the SA. I don't know why but he told me he had been treated very badly and when he had needed to talk with people in the SA they had refused. I found myself listening as he blackmouthed us and when he had finished I apologised for his hurt. I had never met this man in my life before. I still don't know what caused his pain... but I felt as I 'am' the SA I had to apologise. It reminded me too of a time in recent years when a prominant UK church leader gave a prophecy against the SA in the UK. Firstly, he called our leaders to their knees in repentance. I recall leaders doing just that in a desire of seeking God's will and blessing upon our movement. Leaders who had, had nothing to do with the reason to repent but nevertheless repented. The SA is not infallible ... we do get it wrong. And for my part in the SA I respond to the verse from 2 Chronicles 7:14 and apologise for your pain.

Active CO
UKT

Anonymous said...

My mind goes back to the many times the army provided much unexpected support. Our quarters were in an area requiring the children to attend school in a drug infested neighborhood. On informing DHQ of our concern they provided funds allowing all the children to attend a different school. When my father was diagnosed as terminally ill with cancer, The SA gave tacit approval allowing us to visit him often in a different US territory.

I don't believe at all that our family was treated with any favors that were denied other officers... With some trepidation and fear of offense I believe consideration is given by leadership to those officers evidencing integrity, a servant spirit, and spirituality. Conversely an officer who temporarily sidetracks funds, then argues his/her right to do so from a legalistic position may not have the servant/spiritual nature that invites understanding and forgiveness.

Foirmer officer
USA East

Anonymous said...

Having been an officer in the same territory as the author, I saw no rhyme or reason for those with family issues who either were or were not supported- except to the extent they did or didn't have connections personally to THQ leadership.

Anonymous said...

My personal connections to THQ leadership were nil except to the extent that DHQ may have shared family concerns. I know that the tuition support amounted to several thousand dollars per year and that DHQ paid directly to the school, perhaps with THQ approval.

The point is, those leaders closest to where we served (DHQ) supported us. Had they not I can state emphatically that we would have asked for a change of appointments or stepped out (perhaps temporarily). Using the tax advances given to us by the army would not have been an option.

former
USA East

Anonymous said...

I just received a letter about our 45th session reunion coming up next June.

Now it all seems so long ago in my past and it really does not matter anymore. I was so young , innocent, so willing.

But I can say I never regretted the time I served. Never. And I have never regretted the decision I made.

And also I have always carried my Covenant card and Officers card in my wallet. But now it all seems so long ago.

annonymous USA East