Saturday, September 15, 2007

Shepherd; the verb


I have been out of the Army family for 22 years and no one really knows what happened to my husband and me. It was very difficult to experience what my girls and I did, going through it without any support. It was as though, once we resigned, that we no longer existed.

I have not lost my faith in God and how I feel about serving in the Army, I just don't understand when things happen to you and your family, why we, as Shepherds who ministered to those in our flock, could not expect and receive the same from our Leaders. After all, they were the very same people who taught us to care and sent us out to love in Jesus’ name.

I have had 22 years to reflect back on my life with and in The SA and I loved what I did in the time I served. And I reflect often on what that experience did in forming me as a person.

I harbor no ill will towards anyone, I have learned to move on and continue to faithfully serve God.

My life has changed a lot in the past 22 years however, I have never forgotten Whom and why I serve. I have had all this bottled up for all these years and I have never shared any of it until now. Incidentally, I have only mentioned the tip of the iceberg. It would have been good to talk through the many issues 22 years ago, at the time when the turmoil was its worst, and to do so with someone who had been through some of what I and my family suffered.

I’m grateful I found this forum. God sent me to it at the very time I was reflecting on my life as an officer, a very special period in my life. I hope and pray that the sharing of my experience is helpful to others. We do share something very special don't we?

Blessings!

USA Central Territory
(name on file with FSAOF)

4 comments:

FORMER SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS FELLOWSHIP said...

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Yes, we do indeed have a unique, common heritage through our past service as officers. I'm grateful too for this forum and to learn of the many who still live in that same Spirit as we faithfully follow our calling.

Blessings, Sven

FORMER SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS FELLOWSHIP said...

This site is wonderful and is very helpful to me personally. All the articles speak to my heart and remind me of my love for the army and its mission. It was my life and passion for 12 years and I'm still active as a soldier.

I have much I want to share, however, I'll wait until a private forum is set up. My story is too personal to be shared with a general audience. Not incidentally, it will include the wonderful support given when we resigned, by our DC. What was lacking though was team support of any kind. It's much needed and I wonder if it exists yet?

Many blessings!
GB

(name on file)

cubfan said...

WE WERE "FORCED" TO SIGN DOCUMENTATION THAT WE FELT, AND WERE LED TO BELIEVE, EFFECTIVELY BARRED US FROM EVER COMING BACK, AND AS SUCH, WE WENT TO A NAZARENE CHURCH WERE WE MINISTERED IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER SINCE THAT TIME. I FELT SO "UNWANTED" THAT I WAITED UNTIL OUR 25TH REUNION TO SET FOOT BACK ONTO THE GROUNDS OF A COMMISSIONING WEEKEND. THIS LAST YEAR WE AGAIN WENT BACK, AND I CAN SAY I FINALLY FELT AN EASE ABOUT IT ALL.

I CERTAINLY DONT WANT TO BE A "DOWNER", BUT I AM HAPPY THAT THE PRIOR POSTER HAD SUPPORT WHEN HE/SHE LEFT. FOR ME, THERE WAS NONE, AND EVEN IF SOMEONE WERE TO SAY IT WAS MY SELF CONCIEVED PROBLEM, "NO ONE HATES YOU", THE FACT THAT THERE WAS NO ONE TO HELP COUNCIL OR RESOLVE THE FEELINGS, THEY FESTERED AND LINGERED FOR ALL THESE YEARS.

I AM GREATFUL FOR JACK GETZ WHO INTRODUCED ME TO THIS FORUM, AND TO SVEN FOR RUNNING IT. MAY WE ALL BE ENCOURAGED TO KNOW "WE ARE NOT ALONE".

FORMER SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS FELLOWSHIP said...

Ron, you and others will be interested to know that I receive e-mail daily from former officers, most of them unknown to me. Some share both their first and surname, some only their first, some sign with their initials, and some not at all. With but one exception, all write very positively about the fellowship we share in this forum. One can only guess at the number who visit the blog but don't take time to comment or e-mail me.

I just received the latest Former SA Officers Fellowship magazine from the Swedish Territory. It includes a photograph of their fellowship's official meeting that took place during the annual SA congress. Their guest speaker was their retired TC, Commissioner Anna Hannevik, now living in Norway. I wonder if other territories support such a fellowship? It would seem to me that those divisions lacking a sufficient number of officers to provide and appoint one for each corps could benefit from drawing on such a resource. I'm certain many "formers" would happily step in to assist! There's a wealth of experience and commitment to draw from...

Blessings, Sven