Thursday, December 15, 2016

All Is Calm, All is Bright



The Season of Advent is a time of meditation and hope. This is the personal reflection of an individual, who is making the transition from being an active Salvation Army Officer to rebuilding her life as a non-Officer. I know her testimony will touch the hearts of readers, especially those who may be in a similar position (including those looking for, or starting new jobs). It’s not always easy to pick up the pieces of our lives and begin anew, but this is precisely what Francine is doing. May you be blessed and inspired:


“This Christmas is substantially calmer than my previous ones. I was a Salvation Army Officer (pastor) for two years. A few months ago I decided to resign from being in charge of a Salvation Army Corps (community church) in Redwood City, CA, USA.

The recent transition has been challenging, and finding work has proven to be more difficult than I had imagined. Prior to training to be an Officer, I was the director of an after school program for 10 years.

Consequently, I am grateful and humbled to be working part time with high school youth in a job that is similar to the one in which I previously served as director. So, although it is a part time position serving as a tutor for the children, and my co-workers are in high school and college, I am trying to accept it as a lesson in humility.

As I struggle to walk in humility, I remember my Savior, who showed us the ultimate example of humility. Imagine the King of Kings and Lord of Lords becoming a helpless baby. There are a few Scripture verses that remind me to follow Christ’s example in my relationships:

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross! (Philippians 2:5-8)

The Word became flesh and took up residence among us. We observed His glory, the glory as the One and Only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14, Holman Christian Standard Bible)

My fervent prayer is: Oh Jesus, help us to be like you in the attitude of our minds. Help us be holy as you are holy. Help us be humble as you are humble. Though you were God, you made yourself low to show us the way.  Thank you!


Francine Huck
Former Salvation Army Officer

USA Western Territory

No comments: