Monday, November 28, 2016

The 2016 Advent Season; a season of waiting and hope.

The Season of Advent is a time of hope and expectation. This is the personal testimony of a Salvation Army Officer, who is a wife and a mother, and who is faced with a serious medical condition. May you be blessed as you read about how she responds to the situation and holds onto her faith, and please pray for her and her family:

"You had congestive heart failure. You have mitral regurgitation - a leaking valve - and if it is not fixed your heart will not last five years." These were not the words I expected to hear when I went to the cardiologist this past September because of the outcome of some tests. As we talked about open-heart surgery, I was told of the risks involved and so I went home wondering how long the wait would be and if there was hope.

Many times in the past I have said to my husband, “I don't want to die because I don't want to miss out on all the special moments in the lives of our children." But now as I came face to face with my own mortality, I knew that I needed to have a conversation with God. Being the logical person that I am, I knew God would use logic to help me with my dilemma. I believe in God as my personal Saviour; I know He is faithful to his promises; and, I know that he could handle all things. Therefore, logic told me I would be ok whether I live or die. And I could trust him to take care of my family if I should happen to die during or after the operation. Whew! I needed that assurance at this time in my life. I needed to be reminded that I could wait upon God and place my hope in him regardless of what life throws my way.

On Tuesday, November 22, I met with the surgical team. The surgery has been scheduled for Dec. 1st. I do know that I will continue to wait and hope in God.

The 2016 Advent Season begins this week; a season of waiting and hope. I don't know what circumstances you face, but may this Advent Season be one of waiting and hoping in God for the outcome.


Blessing to all
Patsy Rowe, Major
Corps Officer
Napanee/Tweed
Ontario, Canada


No comments: